cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic controllpoints at chamfer_mill-tools

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello!

If I open a CAM-Part in NX9.0.3.4 and there is a chamfer_mill-tool in my partfile and I doubleclick this tool then I see that there are several controllpoints as seen in attachmaents. I can't find any documentation about this topic. Where can I find it? My main-question is: Can I place the controllpoint SYS_OD_CHAMFER automaticly at another position? Is there a parameter to do this, for example allways 3 mm offset to SYS_OD_TIP.

Thanks for help.

Werner

11 REPLIES

Re: Automatic controllpoints at chamfer_mill-tools

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm guessing the tool type is "Mill user defined"

And the operation type is "Planar profile" (the only operation type that can use these tools)

I believe the docs for those objects cover what you need to know.

(maybe edit the tool and/or operation and hit "F1" for context sensitive help?)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The SYS_ tracking points are not editable, they are automatically maintained by NX.

The change is documented in the whats new guide of NX 9.0.1 or 9.0.2, available as PDF from the GTAC documentation download page.

You should find further information in the help section about chamfer tools.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Like Stefan says, the SYS_ tracking points are defeined by the SYSTEM, and are associated to the tool parameters. So if we say OD, the point stays on the outside diameter, even when you change the diameter of the tool.

Have you tried using one of the system tracking points, and using Z offset or stock in the operation to get the 3MM offset you want?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, thanks for your answers.

@Ken: No, the tool-type is CHAMFER_MILL

@Stefan: I just took a look in the whats new guides of NX 9.0.1 or 9.0.2, but there I found only the tracking-points for drilling-tools. And in Online-Documentation there are only descriped the tracking-points of t-cutter-tools.

@Mark: It's great, that the SYS_tracking-points are associated to the tool parameters. I never had doubts about this. But I wrote, that I want to know weather the SYS_OD_CHAMFER could automaticly be set to at another position like allways 3 mm offset to SYS_OD_TIP, and this would also be associated. I thought, perhaps there could be a possibility to affect the automatic assignment of SYS_OD_CHAMFER like a system variable to control this. Obviously this is not possible. In out company we have an agreement, that this controll-point ist allways 3 mm offset to the tool-tip. Your SYS_OD_CHAMFER is obviously allways in the middle of SYS_OD_TIP and SYS_OD_SHOULDER. What this means for us is, that we allways have to define manually another trackingpoint... I only wanted to know weather the automatic process to set tracking-points can be affected.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

OK, I have found it in the whats new guide for NX 9.0.3 MP1, sorry for not taking the time to look for it in the first place.

Tracking points 903MP1.PNG

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Many thanks. Where do you find this? I only find the documents in attachement.

Werner

P.S. I can't upload images into this text-field. Is there an error? I can choose it, but the Insert-Button stays grey.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you have the NX 9 help installed, it is available in the quick links, after installing NX 9.0.3 MP1 or MP2.

NX9 Help.PNG

I just use the insert/edit image button of the message editor and a PNG image.

Using Firefox as my default browser, which might make a difference.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello!

Can it be that the control points generated automatically in NX10 are no longer correct? They are all in the tool tip.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Jobe,

Maybe good to know that NX903 mp 2 is released after nx10.0 has been. In other words, what's new in nx903 mp is not yet available in nx10.0. This applies (probably) to your tracking points and maybe also to other differences.

Thanks,

Toon 

Learn online

Solution Information