Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic naming (index) of found features

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello!

Does anyone know wheather we ave a possability to have influence on the automatic name of found features? The problem is the index.

2018-01-09 07_48_18-NX 10 - Fertigung - [D2174412_0 (Geändert) ].png

This index is created automaticly. Unfortunatly the sort-method in the feature-navigator is not numeric, it's alpha-numeric. So if I have a feature with name STEP2HOLE99 and I find 3 other STEP2HOLEs they are created and sorted as follows:

2018-01-09 07_50_28-NX 10 - Fertigung - [D2174412_0 (Geändert) ].png 

That's a big nuisance.

If the sort-method has to be alpha-numerical there should be a possability to set the index with leading zeros or we should have a possability to set the start-number of the index, e.g. 1000

Any ideas?

Thank you for answering.

Werner

Werner
Production: NX10.0.3, FBM | TcUA 10.1.2.2
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk | Testing: NX12.0
10 REPLIES

Re: Automatic naming (index) of found features

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There is no customer default to accomplish this, but you could run a post action after "find features" and check if the name matches your pattern, if not rename the feature.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Stefan,

what do you mean with "run a post action"? To run an API, which renames the found features?

Best Regards

Werner

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hello Werner,

Can you please tell us why the sorting of the features by name is important to you?

What are you trying to accomplish ?

Reinier Capelle
NX CAM Development - Customer Success

@jobe wrote:

what do you mean with "run a post action"? To run an API, which renames the found features?

Add a post action to the "find features" action through menu-script.

BUTTON          UG_CAM_MFNAV_FIND_FEATURES
    ACTIONS/POST    ${UGII_INITIAL_UFUN_DIR}\MyCorrectFeatureNameIndex.dll

You would cycle through all manufacturing features, check the index and correct it.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Reinier,

it's a little bit complicated. The main reason is if we want work with Groups "Per Feature" when we Create Feature Process.

First we find our features.

2018-01-09 16_03_48-NX 10 - Fertigung - [MKE-GRB300-06-neu_0-CAM_Test1 (Geändert) ].pngIf we have a numeric sort our holes are in the correct order. If we start at 100 we have a numeric sort ;-)

Then we start Create Feature Process with the option Groups Per Feature we get several operations which we name with our sequence that we want. Unfortunatelly NXCAM also adds a alphanumeric index to the operation-name. So if we have two chamfer_mill-operations that should be in order for every hole we also can't sort the operations.

If we would have leading zeros for the index it would work:

2018-01-09 16_36_56-NX 10 - Fertigung - [MKE-GRB300-06-neu_0-CAM_Test1 (Geändert) ].png

We think, that it can't be a big problem for you to make an environment to be able to say e.g.:

• we want have 2 leading zeros in the Index

or

• we want to start the index at 100

This should work in "Find Feature" and in "creating the operations". (Two different variables)

Can you nearly understand what we want to archieve? We want to avoid long toolpathes if we have more than one operation in a single feature with the same tool. In this case we dont want to move from hole to hole, but we want to create one operation after the other in one hole and then in the next hole and so on.

Werner

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Yes I understand. But offsetting the index will not help you:

The numbering of recognized features (_index) is arbitrary and must not be interpreted to have any meaning like ascending in one direction or the other. If this happens in your parts, it is by chance.

To obtain an optimized sequence:

The feature based operations have sequence optimization options in the Feature Group dialog. There you can choose between 'Closest', 'Shortest Path' and 'Primary Direction'

Operations on features that are not in the same group can be optimized using command Object --> Optimize in the Program Order View.

Reinier Capelle
NX CAM Development - Customer Success

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I believe you, that the order is by chance, but especially in this part-family it would work. The order allways would be OK, we have analysed some parts.

Do you see a disadvantage if you allways would name the index with leading zeros? e.g. 0001

What would be the effort for you to do this? I believe it's very low.

This should happen in all navigators, that NXCAM knows.

The alphanumeric sort in the navigators is allways a nuisance. With this enhancement the alphanumeric sort would be like a numeric sort.

Believe me, it would help us and probably other users too.

@ReinierCapelle wrote:

To obtain an optimized sequence:

The feature based operations have sequence optimization options in the Feature Group dialog. There you can choose between 'Closest', 'Shortest Path' and 'Primary Direction'

There you have a thinking error. If we work with Groups "Per Feature" I allways have one feature in the group. Then I can't work with 'Closest'. Am I right?

Werner

@jobe wrote:

u have a thinking error. If we work with Groups "Per Feature" I always have one feature in the group. Then I can't work with 'Closest'. Am I right?

The answer can be found below.

@ReinierCapelle wrote:

Operations on features that are not in the same group can be optimized using command Object --> Optimize in the Program Order View.

You can also create an optimization program group, but these are actually operations, so your post-processor and shop documentation might need some fine tuning.

When we optimize within a program group in the program order view, we don't create optimization groups for this reason. You can also optimize a parent program group and all member program groups will optimize the sequence of their members.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Stefan,

OK now I think I understood. The problem now are the different optimazation-groups for one feature:

2018-01-10 12_52_45-Operations-Navigator - Programmreihenfolge.png

The order of the operations should be like in red signed. Operation 0110_KOFFERN_D_BT1761 and 0110_KOFFERN_D_BT1761_1 are inside the same feature and they should be manufactured successively.

Werner

Learn online

Solution Information