cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Trackinpoints for "usual" 5-parameter-milling-tools

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello! Is there a reason, why we don't get automatically tracking-points for "usual" 5-parameter-milling-tools?
The current solution is a little bit inconsistant. Some tool-types get automatically trackingpoints, some don't. If there is no reason, why not for all tools?

Werner

3 REPLIES

Re: Automatically Trackinpoints for "usual" 5-parameter-milling-tools

I am curious, what would you use track points for on a regular end mill?

The tool is driven by its parametric shape.

The output can be tool center or contact contour (part edge).

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Mark,
I've been waiting for this question ;-)
We have "Janus UserCycle", as you know, this is a partner of SPLM.
I've asked Janus, how to do if I want to work with tracking-points.
I received a solution, and it works.
We have a UserCycle for circular-milling. We can use it for hole-milling and for chamfer-mill.
I know, both we can do with the new operations.
But the new chamfer_milling-operation has some restrictions (no user_defined_tool possible; not possible to work with SYS_OD_TIP and go deeper...) so we still have to work with the UserCycle.
For chamfer_mill with UserCycle I need tracking-points. But if I use the UserCycle for hole_mill the UserCycle also expects tracking_points. I know, I can set them, but it would be better if they would automaticly exist.

My question was, whether there is a reason, why not all tools have automaticly tracking-points. Whether the user requires this not so interesting.

Thanks for your answer.

Werner

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you want to use the same tool for both planar mill & planar profile, the ability to add tracking points to "regular" tools would be useful, so you don't have to define 2 tools.  E.g. a chamfer mill (end mill with a chamfer rather than a corner radius) that you use in cavity mill (to rough) planar mill (to finish) and planar profile (to chamfer/break edges)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information