Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Automation feeds and speeds

Hi, 

is there a way how I can automate the feeds and speeds for milling and drilling in MKE with parameters like 

material workpiece, tool diameter etc. ? 

NX 10.0.1.8
10 REPLIES

Re: Automation feeds and speeds

Use the feeds&speeds library, aka machining data library, and enable to automatically set the machining data in the customer defaults.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I'm also trying to make use of this library and have a complementary question :

Is there a way to connect cutting speed with a specific maximum spindle speed ?

Example : using a small tool with high cutting speed : the spindle speed should always be at maximum. But what if I have one machine with a 20k rpm spindle and another with 40k spindle ?

Can the calculation take max spindle speed into acccount, limit rpm according to specific spindle and re-evaluate feeds ?

Currently the maximum spindle speed is not taken into account inside of NX.

It is only possible to take it into account inside of the post-processor.

Feeds and speeds are always applied without any restriction.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

That's what I was fearing. Limiting max spindle speed in post-pro seems doable, but recalculate all feeds is another story to me.

Anyway, thanks for your quick answer Stefan.

From the top of my head I would do the following:

1. add a feed and speed factor to the block templates where these are output
  2. set the feed and speed factor to one (1) in the start of path to always get the values of NX
  3. calculate the new feed and speed factor if the initial feed or speed exceeds the maximums of the machine

May be there is already something present in the post-configurator post-processors, so you would just use one of them instead of post builder.

There is an existing ER for this 6520243 "Machining Data Library speeds exceed the spindle speed limit for current machine". 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

I create my feeds and speeds data from an excel spread sheet with IF statements to ensure that maximum speed and feed are not exceded for a machine. This means that I need data for indivdual machines and I use specific Nx METHOD for each machine. The advantage of this is the the maximum values are set in the Nx CAM dialog that the users sees when the program is generated and before it is posted.

Thanks for the tips. Using external spreadsheets or programming a multiplier in postbuilder seems very interesting ways to solve the problem.

Having this directly managed inside NX would also be great, so I'm glad that an ER is existing. Is there a way to follow the status of an existing ER ?

You cannot follow issues created by other people, but you can report your own issue, requesting to be linked to the existing ER, which should allow you to follow the progress.

I have done so in this and other cases.

Learn online

Solution Information