cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Processor For Tool Path Generations

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

We are trying to cut down on our programming times. And one of the most time consuming tasks is the generation of Cavity Mill and Rest milling operations. These paths often take in excess of 2-3 hours to generate. Our parts have complex angles and avoidence calculations, couple that with the 3D IPW calculations and i know why it takes awhile for it to give me a tool path. 

These are my current system specs.

I7-3930K (3.2Ghz 6 Core)

16Gb Ram

Nvidia Quadro 4000

Im looking at building a new workstation With a Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz

If anybody has a workstation with that processor i would like to do a generation time test and see whose system is faster.

9 REPLIES

Re: Best Processor For Tool Path Generations

Experimenter
Experimenter

No body has any thoughts?

In general, more RAM is best for CAM.

If you have not tried it, you can speed up the calculation by generating in batch, or if you are doing this interactively, supress the display in the operation display options.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter

Mark,

I don't see any options available here (attached) that allow one to completely suppess the path.  Are they somewhere else?

thanks

NX9 MP4 prodn

NX9 MP7 testing

Legend
Legend

I haven't tested yet but  NX 10 . 2 update

image001.pngimage002.png

NX11.0.1

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello,

I think it comes to these options

Preference\Manufacturing\Operation

Preference Manufacturing.tif

Genius
Genius

Hi CanyonHydro,

Tool path generation time in NX depends on many factors apart from processor, RAM, Video card and its memory, What I see from your post is your computer has quite good configuration except RAM which is 16GB( I would use 32GB if its complex die & Mold parts) but that is compensated by multi core.

What you really need to work on the 'best practice' for your type of jobs for cavity mill and rest mill operations. Mark has given one suggestion and sure you can work on other things with your experience.

Few of them - 1) keep wireframe, zoomed down display before you hit 'generate'. 2) Use tool holder collision and IPW collision option later( after tool path gets generated) than inside tool path & then split these 3) Calculate tool length in advance. 4) Use NC assistant to select your tools 5) Use stage models to create tools paths rather than creating on full finish model. 6) Split tool paths based on area, tool length, cut strategy. 7) input parameters for your tool path, save the part and then generate in a batch. May be you can utilise 'parallel generate' option.

Hope this helps.

Try to search on this forum for tips also.

All the best,

Mak.

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

brettbrocato wrote:

Mark,

I don't see any options available here (attached) that allow one to completely suppess the path.  Are they somewhere else?

thanks

NX9 MP4 prodn

NX9 MP7 testing

In your picture, it is the last option in the dialog ;*)

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi Canyon Hydro

I hope your hardware search went well.  There are some really good options out there but it's not my area of expertise.  I do know though that my Dell M6700 portable workstation blows through CPU intensive operations pretty quickly and it's almost 2 years old.  The solid state drives make a big difference in performance.

With your type of part geometry, use of the IPW is a last resort because processing time suffers a lot.  Rather provide shank and holder clearance that is about .06 greater than the adjacent stock envelope.  In some cases, when the stock is difficult to envision, I will save a facet body after 3D Dynamic verification and use it for subsequent blank geometry.  Rather than using the automatic cut levels and cut area, I'll specify a specific range depth and/or a trim boundary in order to keep the cut region simple.  This will reduce the number of retract and re-engage moves.

At the end of the day, a simulation product will detect any collisions, near misses or oversize cuts in a timely manner.  Sometimes it's faster to find and fix problems that way.

All the best

George

George Bennett
All NX versions
W7 Ultimate
Dell Precision M6700
Spirit of Innovation

Legend
Legend
I have found on complex parts it is very benefitial to create multiple work pieces in the same setup for along the process.

Workpiece_1/2 Rough

Workpiece_3/8semi finish

Workpiece_1/8 flow cut

Each workpiece references the previous one for the IPW and helps with generation times.
NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information