Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Best practise with regrounded Tool ?

Hello,

it gives something like a best practise how to handle it with regrounded tools ?

Example: I create a operation (cavity,planar etc.) with a Tooldiameter of 20mm. Now i let the tool grounding and i have something like 18mm. Inside a pocket the ways would created without contact counter. Only the last way is with contact counter. Same with cutting length. maybe a new one have 40mm, later only 30mm.

What i mean is with that tools my CSE Simulation are not correct anymore.

1. I think the best way will be, generate ways -> simulate the ways with CSE.

2. Let build up the tools in the factory and get data from them

3. put back the new data in a tooldatabase and simulate again in CSE

4. give out the program to the machine

The problem is, that i don't want to change the main tool database (example. D20 to D19,873)

Have somebody a good solution for that ?

In the moment we make so, that i change by hand the regrounded tools in my program. But i like that automated.

What interest me, is how other people handle that ?

Thanks for your ideas or solutions

NC Programmer
NX 8.5.3.3
8 REPLIES

Re: Best practise with regrounded Tool ?

Does the machine tool not have cutter compensation? G41/G42 with D variable or Length compensation like G43 H variable?

We do not modify programs for re-ground tools.  We let the machine control handel the difference between what is programmed and what the actual tool size is.

On occasion we may "test" the program to check the limits for cutter compensation using Vericut, but this is a simple task.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.1

Hello,

We will always program on the standard size of a tool and as @camster has said we let the machine do the rest for us using G43, G41/G42.

We probe all tools and in some cases create slave features in the stock to be machined away, then probe the feature and then update the tool offsets with any difference in the modelled and machined sizes.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Hello Camster,

we also let the machine control handel the difference between what is programmed and what the actual tool size is.

Problem 1: In a Cavity prozess some ways without cutter compansion

Problem 2: the simulation have the base data, not the real from the machine (example cutter length 30mm is grunded to 25mm) So you didn see a crash in front, because you have a different of 5 mm. Tha what i mean

thx

NC Programmer
NX 8.5.3.3

Hello @nx_user

We would never allow a tool projection to change if we have programmed an operation with the given tool projection as say 28mm we would have programmed so that we always have clearance of say 2mm from the the top of a pocket or the stock to allow for some slight variation in probed tool lengths.

We create a tool sheet with all the required tools and holder configurations that are required for the program and this contains all the projections that MUST be used as a minimum, if you allow tool lengths to change on the machine by any great amount then you will open yourself up to machine collisions that no verification will help with!

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Hello CAM_Jockey,

im not shure i understand you correct.

We have a main tooldatabase with around 15000 Tools.

If i understand you correct, you mean (example D20 L30mm, D20 L28,53mm, D20 L26,43mm etc.)

every Tool get a own Librarynumber ? My friend works in a small company. He is only 1 person who make all the things. Tool, programming and machine. So he goes that way, that he don't have a big database. He looks for that tools that he needs, measure -> takes this values and put them direct in his CAM. Than he create his program -> simulate -> put to machine and fire. So he dont have example a Tool D20 L35mm. He have ever time the real data.

In my company this process makes 3 or 4 persons. So is very different. I hope you understand what i mean.

bye

NC Programmer
NX 8.5.3.3

Hi @nx_user

Sorry what I mean is in NX the tool projection is 30mm for a tool but the maximum depth we would mill would be 28mm the operators would set the tool length of the tool to 30mm minmium projection.

So D20 L30mm is defined on the tool sheet and if it needed to be changed then the programmers would need to ok this and check the program.

We don't change tool lengths on tools unless we are trying something different, if this needed to be done we would run it through Vericut with the updated tool projection before running on the machine.

I hope this is clearer?

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Hello CAM_Jockey,

yes i understand how you mean. But is also means you calculate only with new or changed tools.

We have a rule for tool grounding 1xD in length an 10% in D.

Example: So we can have Tools between D20/L30mm and D18/L10mm

With a new tool (D20) you get differnt ways in cavity like with a grounded (D18,5).

For shure for the simulation you can make the smallest size (D18/L10mm) of a tool but for generting ways you can't change. With this the tool can be longer etc. and you are save with simulation.

bye

NC Programmer
NX 8.5.3.3

Hello @nx_user

I understand what you are saying and we reguarly use reground tools but whatever happens with regards to the tool length we won't change the tool projection at all.

If the reground tool goes past a safe point for that operation with safe tool holding then it would be used for a less critical depth.

We try to keep to a standard format with tooling and if the programmer has defined the tool projection of 30mm then it is there for a reason (most of the timeSmiley Wink )

For production we have a minmium tool critera once it goes past this it can only be used by our one off production areas.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Learn online

Solution Information