Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridges, tabs, ears ....

Creator
Creator

So this is what I need from NX CAM.

A simple method to connect milled parts together so they dont move around when milled. Currently using Mastercam where I use this function on 90% of all programs I put out. Its so simple to use when you have a ready made toolpath  you just click wherever along the path and the program adds a "tab" with the desired measurements. 

snip1.JPGmanual or automaticsnip2.JPGeasy to break loose afterwards

13 REPLIES

Re: Bridges, tabs, ears ....

Legend
Legend

Cool function , not possible with Nx (automatically of course).

IHMO , you can't compare, Nx is different compared to Mastercam and vice versa 

You will find functions well in Nx and little slower compared with Mastercam

You can send a ER to GTAC , and explained their reasons...

Production: NX11.0.2.7,VERICUT 8.1.2
Development: Tcl/Tk, Gnuplot
www.adgroupe.com

Creator
Creator

Thats what I thought.

Strange they have not implemented this feature since alot of other CAM programs use it. Almost needed when working with plywood and nests alot of parts on the same sheet. Have also gotten the impression that NX is more aimed for 5 axis cutting where this perhaps aint needed when usually workin with one solid piece.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi,

You can try Tool Path Edit. select a bunch of moves and lift up in Z to the desired height.

Just an ideaSmiley Happy

Yours

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Creator
Creator

Yes, its an idea  Smiley Happy 

I know there are several workarounds but for me this is the thing holding back for changing to NX so it really needs to be a easy, fast seperate function. Rest of the company (electronics, hydraulics, deck, hull, interior....) is already using NX but me on the cnc programming are still not there.

Dont get me wrong, I like mastercam and its VERY good at this but to be able to work inside same environment, (teamcenter, Nx) I belive I'd benefit from. Another solution could be some kind of script/programming to connet the two so it would automatically update/translate teamcenter both ways.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Matias,

From my little experience, associative translation between different S/W is not something you really like to start with. it is a never ending storySmiley Sad

But if you suggest scripting, you can get a developer to use NX Open and write a toolpath modifier tool to do exactly the actions you need. for an experienced developer this should not be hard and then you get it all in the same environment.

Another option is to add those tabs / bridges / ears in the model and then CAM would create a path considering those. Here you can also use automation to ease the creation process.

my 2 cents, 

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Creator
Creator

Thanks Eddy. Totally new here so where would I find a developer that could do this kind of work. Here inside the community or through our Siemens reseller?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ekran Alıntısı.JPGSorry,

I have made this operation as soon as possible. 

Creator
Creator

Hi. Not sure what you ment with sorry cause it looks good  Smiley Happy  Is this something you would like to share?

Highlighted

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Matias_B wrote:

Strange they have not implemented this feature since alot of other CAM programs use it. Almost needed when working with plywood and nests alot of parts on the same sheet.

It seems that NX is not used by these companies that require that feature.

I would suggest to do the following:

1. find a NX consultant company that can implement such an enhancement or already offers it
  2. file an enhancement request a GTAC and post it here so other users needing this feature can ask GTAC for a "me too" entry

Finally the more customers need this feature and add a "me too" request to the enhancement request at GTAC the faster the feature will be included.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Learn online

Solution Information