Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Browsing for Tools

Hi, 

I was hoping someone could offer a little clarifaction for me. When creating an operation, under to tool drop down menu we get a new selection called Browse. What is the difference between the Library section and the Part section os this box. Is the library section supposed to sync up with the whole tool library? 

If it is supposed to sync up, I can not see all the tools that I have added to my personal library?

Also, if I'm using a library I made back in NX10, will this conflict somewhere with this new feature?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Imperial
‎12-09-2016 05:21 PM

Re: Browsing for Tools

The "Browse..." option shows the tools already present in your setup. This lets you search your part for a suitable tool, before creating a new one or retrieving one from the library.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Hello! It sounds good. But I can't find this "Browse"-Option. Where is it?

Browse is available starting with NX 11, if you are on NX 10 then you don't get it.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Thank you, Stefan.

I tried this now in NX11. 

As I see all the tools present in the CAM part are displayed now in a structured way (class/group) instead of the stupid list, which has always existed. Also I see a preview of the selcted tool. Correct? This would be a real improvement.

Werner

Are there any plans to expand upon the Browse menu? Maybe make it able to search for unused tools in the library. I could see it becoming much more user friendly than the typical way of retrieving tools which to me, feels old and clunky.

Maintaining the library is something that I don't think is a good idea if it is done from within an operation.

The browse tool option inside of an operation is for selecting tools from the part.

Retrieving tools from the library is already similar to the browse feature, but with the traditional interface. It might be possible that development might revamp the dialog to get rid of the multiple dialogs needed to get to the tool. A more modern interface would be greatly appreciated.

We could file enhancement requests to get the retrieve tool from library dialog series utilizing the new browse dialog, but you must keep in mind that the library always offers a huge amount of tools compared to those available in the part file.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

jobe wrote:

Thank you, Stefan.

I tried this now in NX11. 

As I see all the tools present in the CAM part are displayed now in a structured way (class/group) instead of the stupid list, which has always existed. Also I see a preview of the selcted tool. Correct? This would be a real improvement.

Werner

There is a preview at the bottom of the dialog, the same as editing a tool, or retrieving from the library:

tool_browse_preview.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Imperial wrote:

Are there any plans to expand upon the Browse menu? Maybe make it able to search for unused tools in the library. I could see it becoming much more user friendly than the typical way of retrieving tools which to me, feels old and clunky.

Can you explain a little more of what you are looking for?

"Browse" by definition is looking in the work part, not the library.

"Retrieve Tools from Library" has search criteria to narrow down the results that are displayed.

In a typcial case, the work part may have dozens of tools to browse, but the library has thousands of tools.

What is an "unused tool in the library"?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

I understand now that browse only pertains to tool that are being used in the working part. What confused me before was section called Library under the browse menu. I know now that thanks to you guy that it just refers to library tool that are being used in the work part, not all the tools. Before, I was unsure if the browse menu was having difficulties finding my tool as I use none of the out of the box tools that come with NX. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Thanks again. 

Learn online

Solution Information