cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk editing stepovers

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi all ,

I have been using NX10 for a about a year. I have updated to NX11 upon release. I still have a lot to learn. Is there a way to bulk edit stepovers for operations?  or a way to bulk edit drive methods? i have a whole lot of toolpaths that i have copied and just need to change the step over. I have been changing them individually. Im sick of it.  Any help would be great!

DBFOSTER24

11 REPLIES

Re: Bulk editing stepovers

Genius
Genius
Hello,

we need to change engage/retract of several operations quite often.
Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3

Genius
Genius

A journal should be able to help with changing stepovers, drive methods you probably have to do manually because you usually have to pick new things when you change the drive method like boundaries and surfaces.

There are sample journals located at C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 9.0\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\CAM, there are C++, Java journals also.

You can use the OntSelectionBoilerPlate file as a starting point. You may have to record a journal while changing the stepover to be able to see the variables used, then plug them into the boiler plate file. Use notepad to open the journal files.

If the operations are all the same type, then a journal is the way to go. You could pick a hundred operations and set them all at once. As noted above, there are several samples to get you started. The best way to start is to record editing one operation - this will give you what you need. For example:

planarMillingBuilder1.BndStepover.StepoverType = NXOpen.CAM.StepoverBuilder.StepoverTypes.Constant
planarMillingBuilder1.BndStepover.DistanceBuilder.Value = 34.56
planarMillingBuilder1.BndStepover.DistanceBuilder.Intent = NXOpen.CAM.ParamValueIntent.ToolDep

Note that it took 3 parameters in this case. Although stepover seems simple, it is actually one of the most complicated parameters. For example, there are 19 types in the system - tool flat, constant, scallop, number, passes, variable, multiple, .... And if you are setting constant, you need to say if the value is part units or %Tool.

So there is some effort to get a journal working for this, but if you do it a lot, you can reuse it over and over. In fact, you could have it prompt for the new stepover value, or maybe take the value in the first operation and copy to all the others. Lots of options.

Another option is a keystroke macro. This will work if all the operations have the same dialog - you would edit each operation, then run the macro. This may be good short term, but since this just records keystrokes, it will likely break in a future release when the dialog changes. A journal is much better because it sets the parameters, without regard to the UI.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer
OK,
I have recorded a journal that changes the step over from a greater value to a smaller value. This journal works successfully when selecting only one operation. I don't know how or where to edit the journal so that it changes all the selected operations. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DBFOSTER24

That's great progress so far. For multiple selection, I would start with one of the samples for "OntSelection" and adapt it for your changes. The tech tip Learn to use Journal Files in NX CAM should get you started.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer
Yeah you lost me... I can get as far as finding the boiler plate. I have also recorded a journal that takes an area milling operation and just changes my set constant step over from a 6mm to a 1.5mm. It only works for changing a single operation. I am totally lost as to where to edit the journal to make it change multiple operations at once. I'm not sure WHAT to copy and paste into the boiler plate. I am not sure WHERE to copy and paste into the boilerplate. It is not intuitive at all.

Legend
Legend

You would think some of this would be easier...

In my old CAM you could highlight a bunch of similar operations and default the shared parameters the same as the one you right clicked on....

Highlight all the Fixed Contour with area milling and right click the one with the correct stepover. Select "Overall stepover to :5%"

Bam done.

NX11.0.1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Why not use the feeds&speeds library to specify your technology values?

It can handle automatic setting of feed, speed, step-over and cut depth for you, whenever you change a tool, material or cut method.

This removes the need to mass edit operations entirely.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer
Yes, you are right, but not when copying and pasting operations in a program order or geometry view, then dragging and dropping those copied operations to different tools and methods. Here is an example. Say we create ten fixed contour operations using Area milling. we use a 25mm ball nose tool with a constant step-over of 6mm. For a method we will use plus 2mm part stock. These operations we will call roughing toolpaths. Instead of creating completely new operations in a different tool or method, which would take an absurd amount of time reselecting geometry and setting a new vector for my tool axis. WE will copy and paste those 10 so called rough operations in the same Program order. We will then go over to our machine tool view in our operation navigator and drag those 10 copied operations and drop them into a different tool. we will do the same for the machining method. The step-over is not changed to the preset step over from the library because it was a copied operation. Thus having a need to mass edit step-overs. I have been given ways to do it through journaling but I cant figure out how to edit the journal. I shouldn't have to deviate out side of NX say to Notepad, stop toolpathing and figure out how to edit VB code. This is not productive.

Learn online

Solution Information