Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CAM Development Plan

As an every day user do we have any insight to what developments and progress are on the board for the next releases?

It would be cool as an end user to see whats in the queue ....

NX11.0.1
10 REPLIES

Re: CAM Development Plan

[ Edited ]

We usually present high level roadmaps at PLM Connection in USA and Europe that look out several years. We don't usually distribute these widely. They may be available from PLM World, but I'm sure of how much detail we include when discussing our plans.

Individual projects in the queue are constantly adjusted, so we usually only talk about the "next" release.

Is there something in particular that you are curious about?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Mark,

Many customers and end users do not have the opportunity to attend PLM World.  It would be to Siemens advantage to keep users "in the loop" with the future of your product.

Even if it's just to keep them from buying a competitors software.

I don't expect to attend PLM World this year and would like to know what our maintance dollars are beng spent on.

Thanks

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.1

Hi Mark

I think that John Joyces comment is on the mark, I get newsletters from other CAM software makers touting new features and improvements, a questions that I get asked whenever something interesting comes up is, "can NX do that too?" Sometimes the answer is yes, other times no, to which the response is why?  This comes about because the cost of maintenance is such a frequent source of grumbling from my boss and these other CAM packages are often much less expensive.

Knowing what is in development would ease the situation to a degree and show that Siemens is keeping NX current not just with bug fixes but also adding features to remain competitive.

Hi Mark

I joined the PLMworld license but could not find any CAM Development info. Just looking forward to what is coming for NX CAM. Very passionate about what the software has done for the capabilities for my small business.

NX11.0.1

[ Edited ]

I've been thinking about this thread for a few days, and am ready to respond. 

I think we are mixing 2 topics here - what's new and the future.

When a new release is coming out, we publicize what's new at the feature/function level. We use marketing communications and publicity, tutorials, tech tips, videos, what's new guide documentation, stand up presentations, and more. This starts before a release and continues for several months. So I think we are doing a great job of letting you know what you can use today.

As I understand, @Dstryr's original question is about how a typical user can find out what's coming in future releases, which raises two issues.

The first issue is that plans change, so even if we think we know what's in NX 12, it will likely change by the time the release comes around. In CAM we are even more apt to make adjustments because we develop in an agile environment, and constantly evaluate the value of everything we are working on, and change priorities as needed. So the further we look to the future, the more general our plans are. This is why we talk about things at a "road map" level.

The second issue is that this information is very sensitive in our competitive environment. We do share our future plans in private, but we don't publish that infromation for the world to see. If you work for a large customer, then we likely share with your company as needed, so that we can both plan accordingly. If you work for a small or isolated company, then you have some other ways to get in a "private" audience. One is to attend user groups meetings, but I understand that is usually not an option, and the local meetings don't usually cover the future roadmap. If there is something specific you need to know about, then you should contact the product manager in that area. Often requests from GTAC or here are forwarded to them.

Of course I encourage all users to be involved online, which you are if your reading this. Although it's not a replacement for user group meeting, it is the community where many discussions take place. Of course, since community is public, we are very careful about talking about the future. But often times these public disussions lead to private ones where we can be more open about our plans.

Another idea I'll mention is beta testing. If you sign up to beta test, you get to see what we are working on for the "next" release, which your company might be deploying in the next year or two. Of course, you are under non-disclosure because of the reasons above.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

Dstryr wrote:

Hi Mark

I joined the PLMworld license but could not find any CAM Development info. Just looking forward to what is coming for NX CAM. Very passionate about what the software has done for the capabilities for my small business.

PLM World handles the distribution of presentations from PM Connection. I believe they limit this to attendees for a time period, and later open it up to all members, but you need to check with them on that policy.

That being said, you don't always get was was presented. Individual speakers decide how much detail they include in the presentations that are submitted for distribution. For example, I may show some previews of what we're working on in development, but not include those slides when I submit my presentation. This is sensitive information we want to share and discuss with our customers, but not release to the public. 

I'm glad that you are passionate about what we have done and can do for your business!

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Mark,

Thanks for the reply and follow-up.  Whenever I update to a new version of NX the first thing I look at is the “what’s new” docs.  They are very informative and for the most part cover the material well.  As a user and customer I also expect to be informed on where the “Road Map” is leading me.  For many years I have been able to attend the User group meetings and found them to be extremely informative.  If I am able to attend in the future that would be great.  However speaking as a user from a “Small” company I still would like some venue where I can stay informed.  Not only for me but to also defend the use of NX, I am constantly being asked about the expense of using NX.  Besides me telling them “you get what you pay for” I would like to be better informed on the future of your product.  In the past the BBS( the old forum) was limited to customers through username and password.  Now this is an open forum so the issue of confidentiality is apparent.  The PLM World web site has the presentations, but they are not available to all users until after a year, I think that is the time limit for open access.  Beta testing may be an option; I will have to check with my managers. 

Siemens does a great job of supporting the PLM World and local meetings but they do not always cover the future road map at the local level.

What I would like to see is something for the customers and users that do not have that opportunity.

Any ideas?

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.1

Where do we sign up for beta testing?
NX11.0.1

Beta testing for NX 11 has just ended on 29th of February.

Ask your CSR to be notified of NX 12 beta testing.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information