Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM lathe Setup

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi everybody, we have a lathe with two chucks, one main chuck and one counter chuck. At the main chuck we are doing some operation (rough turn, finsih turn) at clamp position one. After that, we want to move the workpiece a bit forward for cutoff. At the counter chuck we finish the workpiece on the backside. At the moment we have problem with the IPW of the 2. position at the main chuck. As you can see at the attached pictures, the IPW for the 2. clamping position is not correct. How can we solve the problem. I copied the 2. CSYS, workpiece and turning piece below the raw material. Is there any tutorial or guide where i can get the answer? Thanks for suppurt. Best regards Frank
2 REPLIES

Re: CAM lathe Setup

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

From what I can see...(it's a bit hard from you picture to figure out if  this is what's going on)

1) Geometry view needs 3 sets of MCS/Workpiece/turning workpiece setups

- left spindle

- cutoff position

- right spindle

2) In "turn workpiece" objects for 2nd/3rd "setups", in specify blank, select "Workspace" option & From & to positions

- center  - curve to select are left & center part positions

- right - curves are center & right part positions

3) Make sure to "transfer" the workpiece only ONCE

i.e. first operations only use "left" setup

then operations only use "cutoff" setup

then operations only use "right" setup.

If you go back & forth (left-cutoff-left-cutoff-right-cutoff) the IPW gets transferred more than once, and goes off in space.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: CAM lathe Setup

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Ken, i got quiet near to the solution. My mistake has been the mix of operation between the clamp situations. So your hint to take care about the operation has been done was the solution. Thanks for your help. Best regards! Frank

Learn online

Solution Information