Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CAM with Teamcenter

We are using NX9.0.3 and Tc 10

I'm not the CAM guy, I have a little CAM experience, but I'm primarily a CAD user and NX admin...when we setup NX9 here, I went thru the Siemens document "XYZ CO TC&CAM INTEGRATION - HOW TO SETUP A MIXED-MANAGED MODE V3.pdf", with the help of one of the authors, Jim Maynard.  When we did this, we also had our IT/Teamcenter admin import the NX9 CAM templates to Tc.

Everything worked fine, until NX9.0.3 when the templates were updated, and we didn't notice.  One of our CAM guys happend to be doing some training in a NX native session, and discovered some new and improved options.  Now that I have figured out why, the question is, do we NEED to have these templates in Tc?  or can we store them on our server, where it is easier for me to update them, vs. having to get the Tc admin to import them, and then me having to rewrite the pax file that points to them?

We use the NXCustom setup, that Rob Cohon developed, so I have the env variables, and a folder structure in place on the server, IF we can go that way.

I'm open to any thoughts on the (Siemens) best practice for this.

-Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
15 REPLIES

Re: CAM with Teamcenter

Typically (traditionally?), the operation templates are pointed to by OPT files (in ...\MACH\resource\template_set\...)

The OPT file you use is specified in the configuration file (in \MACH\resource\configuration\)

The OPT file can point to TC files and/or native files (although it chokes if it can't find all the files, so if you are in TC, I *think* you can mix; but if you are in native, the parts MUST be native paths)

In the OPT file, native mode parts like this (note you can use ENV variable):

${UGII_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_ENGLISH_DIR}mill_planar.prt

Teamcenter parts like this:

@DB/mill_planar_inch/A

("@DB/" = look in Teamcenter; then item ID, then "/" and item revision)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

That's what I was thinking.  Looking at the files, I didn't see any obvious reason why we couldn't host those files outside of TC, in one shared location.

I think I'll work up a test setup, and see what happens, and if the machine shop likes it.

-Dave

Updated template parts in a maintenance release are installed in the MACH\updates area.

In native, this folder is searched before MACH\resource, so you see the latest.

To use the latest templates in TC, you need to import the templates fromthe updates folder.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

@MarkRief do they have to be in TC?

Right now, the machine shop is changing the Manufacturing defaults when they start a new part, and pointing the configuration file, and template set file, to the local ones.  Couldn't I change the nxdm_manufacturing_templates.pax, to be more like the ugs_manufacturing_templates.pax, along with making the cam_teamcenter_general.opt more like the cam_general.opt?

I'm going to test this, in our case, it would be easier to manage, just not sure what downside there might be?

-Dave

File => New templates are only supported to be inside of Tc, the PAX file doesn't allow native files here.

How about giving you the right to update the templates stored in Tc, which would be the easiest?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

As I have discovered, lol.  I'll be talking with IT today, to see what we can do on getting these templates updated.

Anything I should know about updating the NX9 templates in TC?  special switch to set?  We don't really need to put in another new set of templates, just replace the ones in there.

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave

1. No need for new revisions, since that only results in more work by the need to update the PAX and other files
  2. When using "Import Assembly into Tc" from the File menu in NX, select overwrite and select the existing Tc Items

You don't do revisions on the file system either for template parts, so why make it more complex for Tc Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

So we don't have to use "tcin_cam_template_setup.bat"?

-Dave

I'm not sure how you imported them before, but I believe the supplied .BAT file does change the part name when it imports the file (at least it did so in NX7.5)

e.g. the metric folder "mill_planar.prt" becomes item ID "mill_planar_metric_NX75"

Actually, it pretty much HAS to change the name, as there are both english and metric unit "mill_planar.prt" files, which would conflict when imported into TC if they weren't renamed.

I'm not sure how the .bat deals with the \updates\ folder templates - maybe someone from Siemens can comment if it uses them or only the original folder tree?

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information