Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CAM with Teamcenter

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Why would you want to import all templates anew, if there have only changed a few ones?

The tool is doing nothing special, that you cannot do with the regular import too.

1. import parts with the suffix target as Items
  2. import parts without the suffix target as MENCMaching
  3. add the suffix metric or inch
  4. add the suffix with the NX version number, example NX8.5 => NX85

I am importing the contents of the native template folder with the regular tool, which allows me to only import the templates I need or that have changed.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I wasn't sure, the only way we have done it before, was via "tcin_cam_template_setup.bat", and I wasn't sure what, or how it worked...TC admin, or Siemens rep did it.

If I, as "dba" an do it with the standard Import Assy tool, that will make it a lot easier.

Another related question, if our CAM guys want to edit one of the templates, example "turning_inch_NX9", but they can't because they are owned by DBA.  How do other companies deal with this?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

I would create a special group that is allowed to edit these templates and change the owning group of the templates.

This way users need to intentionally change the group to apply changes instead of being able to change them with their default group.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

*Personally*, If you want company-specific modified template parts, I would do a "Save As" on the Siemens supplied file, and save it to a new item (e.g. "ganassi_mill_planar_metric_NX75").

That way if you re-import the Siemens files, your changes won't get wiped out.

And *personally*, I would release/revise these (both Siemens supplied & custom ones) like you do a normal part in Teamcenter.  Yes, it's more work editing the OPT to point to the correct revision, but that way if there's an issue you can always roll back to the previous rev.

Also if you want to "play", you can leave production users pointing to the OPT file revision.  "Save As" to the next revision, make your changes, test (you'll have to "browse" to get the new rev template part), then (only after checking everything is "good"), point the OPT file at the new revision.

It all depends how you want to work.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I agree on the company specific templates.

Is there a "how to" on replacing the templates using File, Import Assembly into Teamcenter?  I presume this is how I would "revise" them, even if I am actually importing an updated one from Siemens?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

I wuld just:

- figure out which files were changed/added during the MR/MP edit

- maybe make a copy of them in a junk folder

- release the current revision in TC

- open the TC part in NX and "save as" to the next revision

- in TC - look at the named references to see what it is using

- rename the native part to that name

- cut the UGPART named reference out

- import the (renamed) native mode file as a new UGPART named reference (make sure you don't create 2 UGPART named references)

- test the new rev in TC

- release the new rev in TC

- point the OPT file at the new rev.

I'm not sure what the .BAT does.

I'm sure there's ways of using an import "clone log" file to make the above easier.

*personally* (I'm occasionally somewhat organized) I'd try to make the TC revs match across all the template parts changed in that rev (e.g. the "base" 10.0.0 parts would be rev 0, the 10.0.1 parts would be rev A.  The 10.0.2 parts would be rev B, even if the part wasn't changed in 10.0.1, etc.)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information