Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLLISION BALL-6 HOW TO TILT

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi

how to tilt ball-6 to prevent colission? (finish walls)

thank"s

Amnon

6 REPLIES

Re: COLLISION BALL-6 HOW TO TILT

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Amnon,

thank you for your qeustion and sending the part.

I had a look at it and I would like to give you an explanation. The way you tried with using Planar Mill won't work, because Planar Mill is no Volume Based operation and therefore you can't check the tool or holder against the part.

Let me show you two ways on how you can do a surface finish operation on that walls in your part.

The first way is to use Z-Level-5Axis. You can set a constant Tilt angle or NX will choose it automatically for you. Therefore the holder won't gouge anymore.

2017-09-01 12_03_42-NX 11 - Manufacturing - [COLISSION.prt (Modified) ].png2017-09-01 12_08_04-NX 11 - Manufacturing - [COLISSION.prt (Modified) ].png

A second way, which is very commonly used by our customers, is to create a normal Z-Level-Profile operation with intentionally gouging the part in the first generate (notice that collision checking is turned off). After that click with the right mouse button on the operation and open up the Tilt Tool Axis dialogue.

2017-09-01 12_07_26-NX 11 - Manufacturing - [COLISSION.prt (Modified) ].png

After that you can set the parameters how they fit best for you:

2017-09-01 12_09_03-NX 11 - Manufacturing - [COLISSION.prt (Modified) ].png2017-09-01 12_09_16-Tilt Tool Axis.png2017-09-01 12_10_03-Tilt Tool Axis.png

I attached the part for you, so you can have a look at the two operations. The biggest differnce is, that in Z-Level-5-Axis you always have a constant Tilt Angle, while with the Tilt Tool Axis it only tilts the tool to an angle that is minimally required to not gouge. It depends on the part geometry and the machine tool you are using, what makes sense. In your case both operations will be fine.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Cheers,

Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello

thank you for your useful answer.

Heart

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Alex

i tried your operations, and some questions:

1. when i  change tool lenght your  operations don"t tilt.

2. i want tool to work only at bottom and when i limit range in cutting parameters , no tilt.

thank you for your answer,

Amnon

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Amnon,

1. when i  change tool lenght your  operations don"t tilt.

[Eddy:] have you regenerate after changing the tool length? did you increse the length of the tool? if so - is it still in collisions and cutting the bottom cuts? if not, and you still want it to tilt you can increase the clearance for the holder. please note that the clearance is applied also to the bottom of the holder, so it will "feel in collision" even if not really.

2. i want tool to work only at bottom and when i limit range in cutting parameters , no tilt.

[Eddy:] same as 1. assuming you use a 3X operation with Tilt Tool Axis and not 5X Z-level. correct? 

Yours,

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Amnon,

I had already thought that maybe you only wanted to mill the radius on the bottom, because you already cleaned up that walls with another operation/ tool. 

I forgot to mention that the Tilt Tool Axis is an editing of the tool path.

To answer your questions:

If you change any parameter, tool or the cut levels, then when hitting the generate button, you will receive the following warning message:

2017-09-04 14_25_08-NX 11 - Manufacturing - [Tilt_Tool_Axis_and_ZLevel_5Axis.prt (Modified) ].png

So if you want to tilt the tool axis again, you have the Tilt Tools again (see description in my first post).

You can see if a toolpath is edited in the colum Path, when a yellow wrench is shown.

2017-09-04 14_27_17-NX 11 - Manufacturing - [Tilt_Tool_Axis_and_ZLevel_5Axis.prt (Modified) ].png

Like I said in 1., you have to do the tilt again, after you changed the cut Levels. See video below:

(view in My Videos)

This video shows how to Tilt the Tool Axis. Please be aware that you have to create a toolpath with Collision Check turned off, so that you will intentionally get gouges with the Shank or the Holder. Tilt Tool Axis will find those gouges and make a collision free 5-Axis-toolpath out of it.

I hope this helps you :-)

Cheers,

Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank"s

that"s what i wanted.

can i download your video?

Amnon

Learn online