cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Processor Selection

Legend
Legend

Right now I'm running a 6 core https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5930K-Haswell-E-Processor-BX80648I75930K/dp/B00MMLXMM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie... processor

This system is 2 years old and I'm going to pass it down to my other programmer who only does 3+2 work.

It seems after research the best performance in Nx just comes from the fastest clock speeds.

I'm thinking a 4 core https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Processor-i7-7700K-BX80677I77700K/dp/B01MXSI216/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_... processor @ 4.5 ghz will give me much better performance in calculation and ISV speed

Anyone have any thoughts.

NX11.0.1
32 REPLIES

Re: CPU Processor Selection

Legend
Legend

With some research it seems this CPU is capable of overclocking to 5.0ghz stable with just air cooling.

On a 1 core processing basis for toolpath calculation, ISV, verification that should be a huge reduction in idle time waiting for the system?

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Processor-i7-7700K-BX80677I77700K/dp/B01MXSI216/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_...

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hiya Dennis

Clock speed is king, followed number of cores.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Isn't NX floating point calulation intensive?  If that's the case then you might want to look at Xeons.  I have an old i7 3930K that was clocked to 4.8 for 5 years with water cooling although last summer I had to drop it down a little because it was degrading.  You will see big gains when overclocking i7's but to know how it actually stacks up to Xeons you will need to compare the numbers for floating point performance as well.  There probably isn't an i7 in existance which could outperform  the fastest Xeons but with Xeons you have to pay to play.

That being said...Xeons are more expensive than i7's.  Xeons used to overclock but I believe Intel has been preventing Xeon overclocking for a while now.  You have to OC an i7 to the moon to get anything decent out of them because  their FP performance lags way behind Xeon from the start.  AMD's used to share one FP processor per core so unless they changed their architecture, AMD isn't even in the hunt.

If you're building a system for yourself you could achieve

If you look for comparisons between i7 and Xeon you will find a lot of opinions such as "they are the same proc but Intel pushes Xeon for servers so they charge a lot more for the same proc".  I'm thinking they have to be gamers to talk wild presumptions like that.

NX 11.0.2

Legend
Legend

The number one tasks that are killing me right now are 3d verification time, multi axis path generation and ISV time.

CPU is maxed out on 1 core.

Trying to save myself hours of idle time in 2017.

Mark/Siemens employees

What are the high end computers in your development offices?

Where on the development timeline (if there is) is multi core processing for every day cam tasks?

NX11.0.1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Multi processor support is already worked on.

See the tool path generation improvements in cavity milling and z-level in NX 10.0.3 compared to NX 8.5.3 Smiley Wink

IS&V is already using multiple cores concurrently.

I would not overclock the CPU, just allow turbo mode (automatic overclocking by reducing the power of one core) to kick in, if need is.

It is not always possible to support multiple cores and keep in mind that the tool path generation processors are ancient and need a total rework to be capable of multi core support.

BTW, I am not a Siemens employee, I just listen to the rumors and check the what's new guides Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Legend
Legend

Stefan

If ISV is using multiple cores already why will it only max out 1 CPU at a total load of 16%?

Maybe I'm just too impatient?

What about 3d verification?

Trying to verify a toolpath on a part *after* 2 tilted tool axis operations and I gave up after the computer sat thinking for 20 minutes. Had to remove both operations from the program, verify everything else then put them back.

NX11.0.1

We started implementing multi-threading in NX 7.5, but it is a long, evolutionary process. We target the biggest bottlenecks first, starting in fixed axis milling. As @Stefan_Pendl said, many of these incremental improvements are mentioned in the release notes. Some specific activities I know of are: 

• IPW - In NX 11.0.2, we plan to update to multi-core/multi-threading, which will help in many places.
  • 5 Axis milling - ongoing work in several areas - imrovements will be gradual.
  • Gouge checking - multi-threaded now.

The developers in this area tend to recommend more cores over just faster clock-speed, because they see the benefits in the future - but there is no official recomendation.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

Hi Mark

What about ISV ?

If NX only uses 1 core on most of its functions a 4.5ghz quad core should be significantly faster than my 3.5 ghz hex core

Even if NX starts utitlizing more than 1 I would assume 4 is plenty

NX11.0.1

Legend
Legend

Mark

What kind of benchmark testing is done?
Would be curious to see what the developers are testing improvements on?

NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information