cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cavity Mill Ramp and Helical Entry

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, 

I'm looking to smooth out my output of my code. When I ramp or helical entry into my part the post that is generated is a very jagged, point to point spiral pattern. Its bad enough that I can hear my machine very quickly jumping to each level. 

I want it to be as smooth as the helical entry that is used in hole milling. I'll attach 2 text files, one for the Cavity Mill code and one for the Hole Milling code. I also attach the part file so you can see the 2 different operations. I think this is more of a post processor issue though. 

Thanks for the help.

4 REPLIES

Re: Cavity Mill Ramp and Helical Entry

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello

In your  CAVITY_MILL operation, there is no helical toolpath, so you should not expect helical output from postprocessor:

1.bmp.jpg

If you change engage method to Helical instead of Ramp on Shape:

2.jpg

You will get helical toolpath:

3.jpg 

And only then, if you still get linear NC code, it is probably postprocessor issue.

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 11.0.2
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Wow, you're right with the helical entry. I don't know how I missed that. Is there anyway I could make the ramp entry option more smooth then?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Yes. By setting smaller tolerance values:

4.jpg

you will get much shorter lines on engage motion, and it is up to your CNC controller and it's HSM settings on machine to get smooth machine tool motions.

I don't know how to get helical output if Ramp on Shape engage option is selected...

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 11.0.2
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice!

Learn online

Solution Information