Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Cavity Mill Ramp and Helical Entry

Hello, 

I'm looking to smooth out my output of my code. When I ramp or helical entry into my part the post that is generated is a very jagged, point to point spiral pattern. Its bad enough that I can hear my machine very quickly jumping to each level. 

I want it to be as smooth as the helical entry that is used in hole milling. I'll attach 2 text files, one for the Cavity Mill code and one for the Hole Milling code. I also attach the part file so you can see the 2 different operations. I think this is more of a post processor issue though. 

Thanks for the help.

4 REPLIES

Re: Cavity Mill Ramp and Helical Entry

[ Edited ]

Hello

In your  CAVITY_MILL operation, there is no helical toolpath, so you should not expect helical output from postprocessor:

1.bmp.jpg

If you change engage method to Helical instead of Ramp on Shape:

2.jpg

You will get helical toolpath:

3.jpg 

And only then, if you still get linear NC code, it is probably postprocessor issue.

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 11.0.1
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Wow, you're right with the helical entry. I don't know how I missed that. Is there anyway I could make the ramp entry option more smooth then?
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Imperial
‎07-23-2016 02:33 PM

[ Edited ]

Yes. By setting smaller tolerance values:

4.jpg

you will get much shorter lines on engage motion, and it is up to your CNC controller and it's HSM settings on machine to get smooth machine tool motions.

I don't know how to get helical output if Ramp on Shape engage option is selected...

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 11.0.1
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice!

Learn online

Solution Information