Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chamfering Up To A Wall

Creator
Creator

I'm having some issues figuring out what should be a Machinist 101 type operation - I need to chamfer mill an edge that terminates in a vertical wall.

So far, Floor Wall gets close, but totally borks up the entry/exit by plunging, ramping on shape, or performing a useless arc that turns 90 degrees into the actual cut (like the bottom corner of a D).

Planar Milling works, but I'm having to go in and manually trim the edges by experimenting... trim, generate, verify, trim, generate, verify.

This has been perplexing me all night, and I'm honestly a little tizzed- this is absolutely the world's most advanced CAM software, so why the heck does it force users to waste time jumping through clicks and silly hoops to do what is one of the most basic machining operations out there? Coming from HSM Works/Fusion (where chamfering is absurdly easy), I use to make fun of machinists who didn't chamfer parts. Now with NX, I see why they wouldn't bother. Don't even get me started on chamfering a contour that dare to not be planar! What a mess! Please tell me that that post from almost a year ago saying that a Chamfer Milling operation was on it's way is actually getting somewhere.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Chamfering Up To A Wall

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

hi,

I think your observation is correct.

Upload the part that people can make suggestions for your issue.

Floor and wall - I assume ramping or plunging is generated when tool is near unspecified geometry to avoid touching it.

Planar mill - agree, expermenting, when you are close to geometry you dont want cut.

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Phenom
Phenom

You can use a planar or 3D profile and check surfaces. I can try to dig up an example and post if needed. Quite some time ago there was a questionnaire about this and we got to give input, so I guess chamfering is somewhere in the works. Hope it surfaces soon, as you say @gkoenig , it should be a 101 thing..

Phenom
Phenom

Phenom
Phenom

Here's my workaround:

use the top surface as check surface, NOT the side face. You'll have to experiment with the check stock, but at least there's no manual trimming. The stock results in less than optimal lead-in and lead-out, maybe it could be made to look nicer but haven't had the time...

/Harripath.JPGcheck.JPG

Creator
Creator

After futzing with FloorWall IPW for a while more, I got it to sort of work, but the results are poor. Set everything to wall containment, strategy to profile, turn off colision detection, turn off tool neck clearance. The result still has a truncated arc entrance that leaves a poor result, and it nearly collides with material on entry. Kinda the worst of all worlds, really, for a lot of programming effort.

Again, MasterCAM and Fusion (!) are able to lay down chamfer toolpath almost effortlessly. This is programically a very straightforward thing to offer; click the bottom of a modeled chamfer, or an unmodeled chamfer edge, give users the option to enter the chamfer width (which modified a modeled chamfer, or sets the chamfer of an unmodeled edge), one option for clearance against walls, and one final option to set the chamfer tip below the bottom edge for a good finish. Done.

Add similar logic to the Solid Profile 3D and Profile 3D operations to set chamfer dimensions (driven by the selected chamfer tool's angle), and we would be done here. Chamfering in NX would go from atrocious to top of the class.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi all, 

thank you for your patience! Smiley Happy

We have something coming up! I'll let you know when it is ready for testing!

Cheers,
Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Phenom
Phenom

@AlexanderFreund , you've got it wrong, it's impatience Smiley Wink

Anyway, why not hint at a little more detail? Weeks, months, years?

Harri

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I know, I know, Harri :-) And I see Dennis already lined up as well :-) Putting up that pressure.

My cryptic answer:

Weeks, Months, Years

If you ask how many months, I have to switch into politician mode.... Don't push me there Smiley Tongue

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Phenom
Phenom

Nice @AlexanderFreund !

So up to 23 months Smiley Wink

Learn online

Solution Information