Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change 4th axis in postbuilder.

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I am trying to save one of my existing posprocessors into a new one.

I have a 4-axis milling posprocessor with the 4-th axis defined as YZ plane of rotation and word Leader 'A'.

I am trying to make a new post processor from that one, except for my 4th axis plane of rotation will be XY plane and the word Leader needs to be 'C'.

In Machine Tool / Fourth Axis Menu I changed the World Leader to C and Plane of Rotation to XY, but of course this did not do the trick yet.  I also tried to change the $mom_out_angle_pos(0) to (2) everywhere in the post where I could find it, but realized that this variable does not exists - prabobly because the post was made using 4-axis template years ago.

What is the easiest way of doing this? 

Thank you,

Jerry NX10.0.3

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Change 4th axis in postbuilder.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

You could try making a New post and in the Controller area - select User's and Browse for the original post.   This will bring in any custom commands.  I have had beter success doing this rather than fighting with PB to get the output I need.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Also note that the mom_out_angle_pos array:

mom_out_angle_pos(0) = 4th axis.

mom_out_angle_pos(1) = 5th axis (if it exists).

However the 4th & 5th axes are defined in rotary axis definition section, 4th is always (0) and 5th is always (1).

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

I tried a brand new 4-axis post and also a new using my old post as a teplate and I cannot get the angular output to come out.  I am rotating about Z-axis and doing milling along X and Y axis.  No post will give me angular outputs if I set my 4-th axis rotation to be XY plane.  Not Sure what I am doing wrong here...

I am trying to write a simple milling post that can do milling on live-tooling lathe.  My Z-axis for MCS will be set to a typical horizontal lathe Z.  My milling is done by positioning the workpiece around the Z-axis and milling.  So my tool axis is set to be perpendicular to Z. 

What would be the best post template to start with for something like that?

Jerry

NX10.0.3

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Have you tried using the LOCK AXIS UDE?  Soundds like you need to Lock the X axis and set the Locked Plane to the XY

Try this at the start of the path and then shut it off at the end of path.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Genius
Genius

I tried using UDE and it had no effect on my output :-(

I must be missing here something ....

What I do not understand is why is it that when I set up a 4 axis milling post and set my 4th axis to be XY plane, any milling in NX that is done using positioning of the forth axis results in $mom_out_angle_pos(0)=0.000

As long as that is zero I will never get any rotational output from the postbuilder, right?

Jerry

Phenom
Phenom
Not sure I understand - your milling is at tool vector 0,0,1 (along Z) and you want the C rotated about Z to be moved? If so - that is a situation where NX will just think every position you go can be satisfied by any C (so it won't move.) If your tool vector has some X or Y non-zero component - NX can determine a unique rotary position. As Mr. Joyce said above - lock axis ude could be used to move the rotary (move to a point and issue ude set as 4th axis and lock X or Y.) Post your cl (list) for the mill operation.
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro
ITC Inc.

Genius
Genius

test.JPG

OK, so let me try to explain this another way.  I am on a small live tooling lathe (Y can mill).

How do I set up my milling posprocessor so that I get the following...

See the quick example pic.  Let's say the 'green' cylinder represents my collet and I am holding a 'blue' part in it.  I want my MCS to be set up as shown.  Now I want to mill 6 sides shown in 'red', with a toolpath as shown.

My output should look something like this:

(FLAT 1)
G0 X1. Z3. C0.
G1 X.5
Z1.5
Z1.4
Z1.3 X.6
Z1.2 X.7
Z1.1 X.8
G0 X1.

(FLAT 2)
G0 X1. Z3. C60.
G1 X.5
Z1.5
Z1.4
Z1.3 X.6
Z1.2 X.7
Z1.1 X.8
G0 X1.

(FLAT 3)
G0 X1. Z3. C120.
G1 X.5
Z1.5
Z1.4
Z1.3 X.6
Z1.2 X.7
Z1.1 X.8
G0 X1.

ETC...

How do I set up my post? 

Phenom
Phenom
Ok - more clear now. If your initial tool axis is along X and or Y you need to set that in PB (1,0,0 in this case right?) I assume it works with 4th axis as about Z (C) and when tool axis starts at (xval, yval, 0) but I am not sure if I have tried it.
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro
ITC Inc.

Learn online

Solution Information