Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change default tolerance in cut methods

Creator
Creator

Hi there!

I want to change the tolerance default value in my cut methods (mill finish, Semi finish) which is currently at 0.03mm, and thats too high for our needs.

It should be changed in general not only in my current part.

thanks in advance

wolfgang

NX 10.0.2
PB 10.0.2
Win7 64
7 REPLIES

Re: Change default tolerance in cut methods

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You need to change the template part that you use to initialize the CAM session.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Creator
Creator

Ok and which file should i use ? I've changed the MILL_Finish method in several files (mill_planar, mill_contour, cam_metric_template) but it didn't change anything.

When i open an CAM session in NX i select "cam_general" and "mill_planar" or "mill_contour"

NX 10.0.2
PB 10.0.2
Win7 64

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The template parts are stored in %UGII_BASE_DIR%\MACH\resource\template_part\... (I'm assuming from your question you want to edit the parts in the \metric\ subfolder.

1) Preferable way.

a) Copy the \mach\resource tree to a folder on a network drive.  Set the appropriate ENVs to point there.  Easiest to do if you use the (ex Rob Cohon, now Gerrit Koelewijn) "NXCustom" setup for your NX version (see here for NX10 version: http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization/NXcustom-for-NX10-0/m-p/...

b) Edit parts there as defined below

c) Edit OPT files to point to YOUR parts

2) Less preferable way:

a) Edit directly in the install tree.

to do the edits:

- Open the part (e.g. "mill_planar.prt", make changes, save the parts WITH YOUR OWN NAME (so MR/MP upgrades don't over-write your changes).

- edit the OPT file (...\MACH\resource\template_set\) to point to your parts.

Note most ops will also inherit tolerance from the METHOD view parent, so setting that parent *should* set what you need (e.g. edit MILL_ROUGH, if it exists)

Method parents can also be edited in the operation templates.

They also come in with the "File -> New" parts, so they can be edited there as well.

Hope you understand this, let us know if you don't.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Be aware that depending on you CustomerDefaults

(File->Utilities->Cutomer Defaults->Manufacturing->General->Sofware Updates->Use latest Updated Templates) the templates could also be loaded from

%UGII_BASE_DIR%\MACH\updates\template_part\metric\

To be sure where the loaded template file is located you can start a cam-session select the desired template and than take a look at the end of the log-file (File->Help->Log File). You should find somting like this (just from my current NX9 session):

Loading "d:\sis\nx_9.0_64bit\mach\updates\template_part\metric\mill_contour.prt" which was saved in NX V9.0

Read in all for part "d:\sis\nx_9.0_64bit\mach\updates\template_part\metric\mill_contour.prt", cpu 0.031, real 0.022

Partition info: RM:1 (0.0, 0.0) CM:1 (0.0, 0.0) EXP:1 (0.0, 0.0) PATT:1 (0.0, 0.0) OCC:1 (0.0, 0.0) KF:1 (0.0, 0.0) PSP:1 (0.0, 0.0)

Loaded and updated part "d:\sis\nx_9.0_64bit\mach\updates\template_part\metric\mill_contour.prt" cpu 0.031, real 0.022

If you edit the tolerances in this template files you should get the desired result.

Nevertheless it is a good idea to think about how to handle customized templates like Ken mentioned. But this is another endless ocean. Smiley Wink

Regards,

Peter

Creator
Creator

Ken's "less preferable way" worked fine, because i was looking for a quick solution.

Thanks for help ! \o/

regards

wolfgang

NX 10.0.2
PB 10.0.2
Win7 64

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You know that the "less preferable way" is not safe against updates.

A "fast solution" is not the best in the Siemens NX world.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Wolfgang -

Just be aware if you install an MR or an MP, you changes *may* go away.

Once you get things the way you like it, I would make a ZIP of the \template_part\ dir and store it somewhere "safe" ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information