cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing G84 to G184 for angled heads

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I need to alter the output of G84 to G184 when using angled heads and am unsure on the safest way of doing this? I have created a copy of the cycle_tap and renamed it cycle_tap_head using G184 what I was wondering is what would be the best way to replace the standard tapping call with the custom one? the angled heads will be given a static tool number so I could use that to change it or I can put a marker in the operation?

Really looking for some advice on the most robust method to stop anything slipping through the post.

As always I appreciate people taking the time to respond to these calls for advise.

I hope all have a good day!

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2
5 REPLIES

Re: Changing G84 to G184 for angled heads

Phenom
Phenom

What do you mean by replaced standard tap? Are you working in postbuilder - or in tcl ugpost and an editor, or in post configurator? In postbuilder above V8 you can put conditional block code behind templates which helps to set up multiple options in a customized cycle. If working in tcl - you can make the decision with code in the MOM_tap_move proc to call whatever is appropriate. As far as what the post keys on - if an attachment - the post should know that it is loaded. If a right angle tool - the post will have to know for kinematic decisions anyway. You may be using a "Head" object in the tool navigator which you can detect by using a cycle_object through it or maybe there is a mom variable that indicates that. Maybe mom_spindle_axis shows something different. The point is - I would try to detect it with something the programmer is already doing instead of an added requirement like a ude or special tool name.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For head objects:

Note that variable mom_head_name can be used, but BEWARE the "Head" UDE (typically used to change between linked posts) ALSO uses mom_head_name (something that's been annoying me for years!)

If i recall correctly (it's been a while since I played)

- there's a MOM_* proc called when loading the head object (and possibly when unloaded)

- there are also mom_* variables with the XYZ and IJK offsets

These can be used to see if the head is loaded, BUT:

As NX does not "clean up" after itself, you will have to figure out when/where to "unset" the variables.

I would do a real simple part with 3 operations:

- one that does not use the head

- one that does use the head

- one that does not use the head.

Post with the "debug" tool turned on and see what events happen, and what variables exist.

Then go from there.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

Hi Study,

I am working in postbuilder and what i mean by replace is that when using a right angled head the machine can not use G84 and has to output G184, what I was hoping was to just use the MOM_do_template to output the angled head code instead of the standard tap command.

As Ken had said I created a simple program to see what mom variable were output and found mom_head_type = right and mom_cutcom_plane = YZ,XZ so I used these in an argument with the TAP canned cycle which worked fine and I got the output I wanted only thing is at this point in time I still get the standard G84 output on the next line, still got some work to do.

Thank you for the help and pointers it is greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Dave -

You can use the same block template, just replace the value of the variable mom_sys_cycle_tap_code with "184" instead of "84", i.e.

set mom_sys_cycle_tap_code 184

Then when the RA head is unloaded, set it back.

Ken

PS, in just in case...

- make sure G_motion word format is 3 digits

- Make sure G_motion word is not truncated to a max value of 99

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for this Ken made the change to the code as below

global mom_cutcom_plane
global mom_head_type
global mom_sys_cycle_tap_code

if {$mom_head_type == "RIGHT" } {
    if {$mom_cutcom_plane =="YZ" || $mom_cutcom_plane =="XZ"} {
        set mom_sys_cycle_tap_code 184
    } elseif {$mom_cutcom_plane == "XY" } {
        set mom_sys_cycle_tap_code 84
}
}

and as far as my limited testing so far it works fine for our requirements, and it catches the value if not using AH I may need to add some more safety nets but at this point it gives me a great starting point.

Many thanks for all your help Ken.

Have a good day.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Learn online

Solution Information