Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Clearance plunge in profile turning

How can I get a clearance plunge for profiling up to a shoulder?

Here is an example of what I'm looking for.... (Please excuse my snippet that looks like a 1st graders drawing)

I am profiling this ID feature with a full nose radius grooving insert. I would like the tool to come in and plunge down to my cut depth on the left side (staying away from the wall my stock allowance) then retract and rapid over to the right side... Then plunge down to the same depth and profile across to where the original plunge was. And repeat for however many cuts it needs.

Thanks in advance!

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2
3 REPLIES

Re: Clearance plunge in profile turning

The first point can be controlled by the "first plunge"/ "initial plunge position" data.  This may have to be customized into the dialog.

Note the point you select will be used by the TRACKING POING of the tool.

("First plunge" is the item in the "Customize" dialog, "initial plunge position" is what it reads n the dialog once you add it)

Not sure how to do the second.  You almost want the inverse of plunge alternate (which starts at the center & works out)  Maybe plunge alternate & then reverse the toolpath?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Ken,

Thanks for the tip on adding the customized items. I didn't know that there were more options available.

As for the path, I couldn't get what I wanted. I will have to break it up into multiple operations. I am also going to try and learn teach mode because I am sure I will be able to get my toolpath that way. The only downfall is that it may not show in the IPW.

I wish there were some better grooving strategies, or maybe I just don't know how to get what I need yet. Such things as trochoidal grooving and the ability to finish a groove from both directions and select where my overlap is. I have a feeling that teach mode may be the way to go for these.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2

Yes, you can do it in teach mode, but it is pretty tedious (depending on size of groove vs. size of tool).  Also, you lose some of the other option (break chip comes to mind - if you need to break chips, it becomes incredibly tedious).

Or contact GTAC with what you want (if it can't be done, they can convert your IR into an ER, so there is an official enhancement request on file.  And maybe they'll do it....some decade in the not-too-remote future....)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information