Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collision Checking for Tool Solid Assembly is not working in Tool Path Verification

Genius
Genius

1. Open the CAM part file 

2. Select Floor Wall operation

3. Click Verify Tool Path in ribbon bar

4. Select Assembly then Click Collision Settings as seen below:

5. Choose Solid Assembly as seen below: 

6. Click OK and Click Play button to verify the tool path

7. User will found that the solid tool is collide with the workpiece but NX is not warning user.

1.JPG

2.JPG

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Collision Checking for Tool Solid Assembly is not working in Tool Path Verification

Creator
Creator

Hi

Are you getting tools from MRL?

I have same problem in verification, in our case i think it is becouse we havent set any values in teamcenter for holder or shank. You see an assembly, but nx sees only the the tool.

In machine code simulation collision is shown correctly when cutting- and holding elements are pointed in machine tool builder.

Correct me if i'm wrong!

NX 11.02 MP9
TC 10.1.7
MRL 3.16

Re: Collision Checking for Tool Solid Assembly is not working in Tool Path Verification

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I do get the warning as expected NX12.0.2 MP4

2019-01-15 12_21_24-NX 12 - Manufacturing.png

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Genius
Genius

Hello Tom

Thanks for the reply. customer is using NX11

But, I am asking the issue in Replay Tab, other than 3D Dynamic Tab.

I even tried in 3D Dynamic in both NX 11 and NX 12:

If I delete 2 sides tool path and only keep the mid tool path, NX CAM did not pop up a warning message. I t seems like NX CAM is still using parametric tool&holder for collision and gouge checking, as seen below:

3.JPG

Genius
Genius

I retrieved the OOTB tool from NX CAM tool library, not from Teamcenter.

In Tool Path Verification, I believe NX CAM used parametric tool to calculate the tool path, collision and gouge checking, and the solid tool assembly is just for visible display only.

In Machine Tool Simulation,  solid tool assembly can be used for collision and gouge checking.

So, it is meaningless to import the 3D CAD of the solid tool assembly, users still need to create parametric model of tool&holder to calculate tool path anyway.

But if users have the machine tool simulation license, users can import the 3D CAD of the solid tool assembly for more detail checking of collision and gouge.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Please lets make clear:

1. Replay can handle gouge checking
    Here is seems that there is a bug in NX11 (no gouge for assembly tool), but that is fixed in NX12

2. In 3D the system doing a collision check between the too and the IPW (cutting in rapid and holder collision check)

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Genius
Genius

Thanks, Tom

You are correct. In NX 11, only the holder part of tool assembly can check the collision in both cutting moves and rapid moves.

As a result, user's parametric model shape(or size or dimension) of the tool head must exactly match the tool head of solid tool assembly model.

But user's parametric model shape(or size or dimension) of the holder do not need to exactly match the holder of solid tool assembly model,  as long as the diameter and length matched.

Because in 3D Dynamic Tool Path verification, with Solid Tool Assembly,

NX CAM will check the collision for tool head and holder in rapid mode,

but NX CAM will only check the holder for collision in both rapid modes and cutting moves.

1.JPGparametric model of the tool2.JPGSolid tool assembly of the same tool check collision in rapid mode for tool head3.JPGsolid tool assembly dont check collision for tool head in cutting motions

Phenom
Phenom

Do you have "Pause on Collision" Checked? I only saw collision settings for the "Replay" in your original post. 

collision settings 1.PNG

collision settings 2.PNG

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP10 Primarily CAM

Genius
Genius

Yes, I have pause on collision in 3D dynamic

Learn online

Solution Information