cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collision checking

Creator
Creator

I keep waiting for collision checking for tool and holder to be expanded to more operations but it seems like nothing has changed since NX7. For fixed axis: Floor/Wall, Cavity mill, Contour area and Flowcut. Variable: Contour profile and Z level. Why not surface area and streamline, both fixed and variable. This would help a lot. I'm trying to sell management on upgrading from 8.5 to 10 but other than an improved 3d TPV I'm not sure I can persuade them at this point.

Ray

ADI

16 REPLIES

Re: Collision checking

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What do you miss here, collision checking during tool path generation?

There are many other benefits:

1. more reliable tool path gouge checking
  2. more reliable drilling operations
  3. performance improvements
  4. increased multicore / multiple-CPU support

It is surely worth to do the upgrade and since you pay maintenance it is free.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Creator
Creator

I'm all for the upgrade, I just need to make a case for it.

Thanks for the reply.

Gouge or Collision checking done in verify or simulate or from the Operation Navigator really doesn't care much about the operation type. As long as there is geometry to check against, you can check for gouges and collisions.  

There have been a lot of internal improvements to gouge checking, especially when you have different stock in different operations. You will also see separate safe clearances for the tool body, shank, and holder.

Collision avoidance during path generation is different based on the operation type, and I think this is what you were aluding to.

In addition, a workflow we see more often is to generate a path with collision checking OFF, and then divide the path to separate the areas that collide, so that you can cut them with longer tools, different tool axes, or defer them.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter

Mark, is collision avoidance generally unavailable when one is working on a non-Sinumerik machine ? The option named "Sinumerik" is the only one that I can find for checking collisions. I tried Finder.

thanks

NX9 MP4 prodn

MX9 MP7 testing

brettbrocato wrote:

Mark, is collision avoidance generally unavailable when one is working on a non-Sinumerik machine ? The option named "Sinumerik" is the only one that I can find for checking collisions. I tried Finder.

thanks

NX9 MP4 prodn

MX9 MP7 testing

Sinumerik has nothing to do with collision avoidance in the operations. Where are you looking?

For example, in Cavity Milling, go to Non Cutting Moves, More, and there is a check box for Collision Checking.

Maybe you found the Sinumerik Collision Avoidance application? This is used by machine tool vendors to help set up Sinumerik controls.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter
Mark, thanks very much for the help. Is there an option on collision for Plunge Milling ?

In plunge milling:

When generating the path, the system will avoid holder collisions with the PART geometry.

Here the tool does not go to full depth because the holder would be too close to the part:

plinge_mill_collision_avoid_part.jpg

When you simulate the path, the system will report collisions with the IPW. In this case, the holder would contact the IPW on the first plunge:

plinge_mill_collision_ipw_warning.jpg

In plunge milling I would select a tool that extends at least the depth of the deepest point you are cutting, plus the holder clearance.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

brettbrocato wrote:
Is there an option on collision for Plunge Milling ?

Not every operation type has the option to check for collisions during the creation of the tool path.

In addition it is much faster to generate the tool path first without collision checking and do a gouge check afterwards.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Creator
Creator

Stefan,

There is quite a difference between collision checking inside the toolpath (which actually adjusts the motion to avoid collision) and collision checking in TPV. I still haven't recieved a satisfactory answer as to why its available in some operations and not in others.

Ray

Learn online

Solution Information