cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collision in motion between operations?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello, is there a way to check for collisions between operation without ISV?

When I verify a tool path, the tool ”jumps” between operation-toolpaths.

/Rickard

7 REPLIES

Re: Collision in motion between operations?

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

On the 3-D dynamic - Collision settings there is an option to check between operations.

collision-settings.JPG

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind that the "Check Between Operations" doesn't necessarily mimick the exact motion of the machine, especially 5 axis.

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 11.0.1.11 MP6 Primarily CAM

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

"Keep in mind that the "Check Between Operations" doesn't necessarily mimick the exact motion of the machine, especially 5 axis."

This is painfully true.  In NX the tool moves areound the part.  On your machine the part may be moving while the tool stays relativly still.  This is why a verifivation system with machine simulation is well worth the investment and will pay for itself.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk

I'm a little confused here - the question said "without ISV" which means without machine tool kinematics, but you are discussing the tool path on the screen vs. the actual machine motion.

If you want to collision check the actual machine tool motions, then you need a machine tool (ISV). If you are using verify, then there are no machine tool kinematics, and tool follows the path you see on the screen.

Without a machine tool in the setup, you may be able to get a more realistic path using a clearance cylinder or something like that.

If you want to specify exactly how the tool gets from one operation to the next, then use a Generic Motion operation in between.

We have discussed adding an operation that connects two operations, so that you don't need to define the start and end locations manually, but it's not in the system yet. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Phenom
Phenom

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX/Transitions-between-5ax-operation...

we have discussed it here too,

So do you think that in future will be possible to connect operations (with the ame tool) automatically along the clearence geometry?

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks you for your time.

We would hope to skip ISV on simple parts planed to run in 3-axis machines. We wish that a quick verify for tool movement and material removal would be enough to see if the tool is moving trough the part.

titanium_bolt.JPG

In our latest case another programmer reused one of my programs, modified it, watched some verification , saw no collision, posted, run in machine and hit the workpice in a transition movement between operations. He is new to NX but experienced with Catia. There we can see the toolpath between operations. Is this not possible in NX?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am not aware of a way to see between operation motions unless you drive the tool with Generic Motion. Some machines do not linear rapid in a straight line if 2 axes are in motion. If you move X1.0 and Y10.0, both axes will rapid at same speed, so the tool moves at a 45 deg angle until it reaches X1.0, then the remainder of Y9 inches is a straight line move. Newer machines have linear rapid, so what you see in your toolpath is the actual motion you get. I just try and make sure I have cleared the part completely between operations.rapid.jpg 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 11.0.1.11 MP6 Primarily CAM

Learn online

Solution Information