cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining moves

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is there a way in either NX or postbuilder to combine linear moves that are in the same direction in lathe? For example, I am taking a face cut and it wants to output multiple X moves for the engage, the cut, and the retract. I'm hoping to combine these since it is a nuisance when the operator is single blocking the program thru.

Here is an example:

Capture.PNG

I'm using NX 9.0.3 

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2
6 REPLIES

Re: Combining moves

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Since these are three independent moves, which can have three different feed rates they are not combined into one move.

Why would this be a problem?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks Stefan
I figured that NX couldn't for that reason but I'm hoping there's a way in post builder that if there is no feed change it will work.

It's not a deal breaker. I'm trying to implement NX Cam at a place that has been using MasterCAM and doing a lot of hand edits. So a lot of the older guys on the shop floor are used to seeing things a certain way, especially the lathe guys. The big issue is when they are single blocking the program through the first time. I may just have to tell them to deal with it. I'm just trying to limit the differences.

Thanks!
NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2

Genius
Genius

This been alway a challange when you change the way you do NC programming. I think after few successfull NC codes from NX CAM, the operators will be fine with the output.

You may need more explaining to do in the begining, why is it so and benefits of havingapproach, engage and cut moves with different feed rates if you have not used these earlier.

Mak

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I get that complaint as well. I haven't done it yet with my posts just in case for safety reasons, but I believe you should be able to change your post to take these moves out.

I was thinking of going about doing this with the custom command before motion. You can find the vectors with mom_prev_pos, mom_pos,mom_next_pos and the one for feedrate. Add in a statement saying that if the previous vector equals the next vector and the feedrate is the same then suppress once X and Z . 

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer

aluminum2 wrote:

I get that complaint as well. I haven't done it yet with my posts just in case for safety reasons, but I believe you should be able to change your post to take these moves out.

I was thinking of going about doing this with the custom command before motion. You can find the vectors with mom_prev_pos, mom_pos,mom_next_pos and the one for feedrate. Add in a statement saying that if the previous vector equals the next vector and the feedrate is the same then suppress once X and Z . 

This is exactly what I was thinking may be possible. Just like you my main concern is that there may be a possible potential for error that I may not see. I am hoping that someone has successfully done this and can share their method.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I would not put too much intelligence into the post processor, it will get more unstable and harder to maintain.

The post processor should just translate what he gets from NX into NC code.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information