cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company thinking of getting NX for programming a 5 axes machine.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello I work for Georgfischer and we just bought a 5 axes CNC machine and they are thinking about getting NX. I have a lot of questions about this software.

3 REPLIES

Re: Company thinking of getting NX for programming a 5 axes machine.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ok, here is my first question, how easy is NX to use. I have been using Camworks and Mastercam to program CNC machines. The parts they want to run on this machine is actually 3+2 not a true 5 axes part. It's just positioning in certian axes drill and milling. How easy is it to learn.

This is not a simple question to answer. If you are willing to invest in learning or go through the tutorials, then I think it goes really well. If you just dive in and try to make a tool path without any preparation, you will likely be frustrated because you need to do things differently in NX than whatever system you already know. NX has many options, so by nature it's not always easy to find the right one first. But once you know which options you want, you can customize and save templates for reuse. 

Regarding 3+2, it's important to know the controller, and how you will program this, since there are many options. For whatever you choose, you will need a postprocessor and simulation that supports those options. I would talk to your reseller or Siemens rep and see if there is a machine tool kit available. This would accelerate your startup.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your responce. I take it you are a NX programmer right?

Learn online

Solution Information