Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convergent body in CAM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Is it not possible to use a convergent body in NX CAM?

I'l try to explain what I'm doing with an example, can't share pictures of the part.

- 1st setup: Machined square area

- 2nd Setup: Made a groove (blue) and snap of the cilindrical part

image.png

For the 3nd setup I needed an IPW so I exported it after the grooving operation and used the new convergent modeling functions to edit the STL body and remove the cilindrical area.

I was happy that I could use the new convergent functions to edit an STL body.

But when I try to use the convergent body in manufactering I can't select it...

Is here a reason for?

Regards,
Sven

NX11.0.1
9 REPLIES

Re: Convergent body in CAM

Use the Convert Facet Body command to change the type from Facet to NX, and then select it as a facet body.

Using convergent models in CAM will take several releases to implement. We're starting with Additive operations, and then the more common machining operations.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

For that command is an adittional licence needed Smiley Sad

I exported it as STL and then imported it back as a regular STL..

Thanks for the response!

Regards,
Sven

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello

we're very interested in using convergent bodys in NX CAM, too. We wants to mill ( 3-axis up to 5-axis) forging dies. A lot of older dies exists only as physicla bodys or we have nc files for an very old machine.

The use of scaned data is an good alternative instead of reverse engineering. And with convergent modeling we have the opportunity to optimize the geometry in an much easier manner compared to NX or JT facet bodys.

So is there a time line whe it will be possible to use convergent bodys in NX CAM?

Thanks in advance

Meinolf

Meinolf, , Leistritz Turbinentechnik GmbH

Production: NX10.0.3, TC 10.1.4

Testing:NX11 Beta

Triumphator wrote:

So is there a time line whe it will be possible to use convergent bodys in NX CAM?

There is no specific long term timeline - remember we are agile.

This will be a gradual process and take several releases. I cannot make any commitments, but I expect to see them in additive operations in the NX 12.0.x time frame. Machining operations will follow, probably starting with the most common - like cavity milling, area milling, and guide curve.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius

Excelent info!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks a lot for the Information. Because ot the teamcenter integration we need to make update projects with more then a few months planning.

Meinolf, , Leistritz Turbinentechnik GmbH

Production: NX10.0.3, TC 10.1.4

Testing:NX11 Beta

Creator
Creator

Will there ever be a time when a convergent body could be output as a step file, or is that a bridge too far?

Thanks

RDS wrote:

Will there ever be a time when a convergent body could be output as a step file, or is that a bridge too far?

Thanks

That is a question for the translator experts. I would ask in the Design Forum.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Creator
Creator

Ok

I guess I thought it was a type of body specific to CAM interests.

We can export an stl for stock but our V5 programmers can't select it for stock once they import it. This causes a lot of headaches when we split up hot jobs. The way I see it, it's mostly on Catia for not being able to use an stl for stock in their process files. I was hoping this might be a way in.

Thanks.

Learn online

Solution Information