Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countour Head/Facing Head with B table

Genius
Genius

I am working on an HBM machine with an added contour head, and a B-axis table.  I got a turning operation to generate properly for a hole that has an axis the same as the spindle axis at B=0.  There is another hole with an axis at 45 degrees to the spindle, so a B=45 command will align the hole and spindle axis.  I am having difficulty generating that operation, and I get the error "Tool orientation does not match current workspace.  I have a couple theories on what might fix this:

• Create a pocket at 45degrees for mounting the tool for this operation.
  • Create a phantom "turret" parent for the tool pocket(s) so that when generating the operation, it can see that the tool axis is capable of being aligned properly.  Seems to work with a lathe tool turret…
  • Create a pocket for the contour head that mounts it at a 45.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Countour Head/Facing Head with B table

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Jesse,

even I am not an expert here my understanding is that for each new orientation you need to define a new MCS turning spindle object.

I could be wrong and their are better ways, but for facing heads some "workarounds" are still needed as we do not have an extra operation for such "tools".

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Phenom
Phenom
I have worked with a situation you describe. I was not using library tools and can see how that would be even more a challenge. Can the tool be set to an mcs? With parametric lathe tools it seems I remember that they can. If so - maybe you can create one to turn the tool into the operation orientation - maybe use a copy of the tool that is parametric if needed (a workaround.)
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

Genius
Genius

Thomas,

Yes it is my understanding that a new turning spindle object is required for each new orientation.  I have it set up like this, but that doesn't seem to make it work.

Study,

You're right, there is an option in this turning tool (one that I created) to choose which MCS it is under.  You can choose a specific MCS or "Operation".  That doesn't seem to fix the issue though.

I was able to make the operation generate by creating a 2nd pocket on the contour head that is at the 45deg necessary, and that does allow me to generate a turning operation.  This seems like a pretty terrible work-around though since it would require many pockets for all the angles the customer may work with in the future.  I think I would also have to play with how anycontroller mounts the visible tool as well so the tool in the sim isnt at an angle in the contour head.

Any thoughts on the turret setup?  It seems strange that I can make tools in a turret work when they are not pointing the right direction (without a turret rotation), but not in this application.

Siemens Phenom

About angles in the turret.

Do you check if the turret angle fits, so that the tool is orientated in the turning plane when it is rotated with the turret?

I am not sure if that will help.

turret_pocket_angle.png

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM

Phenom
Phenom
I think the working angle only handles a change rotationally of the tool (about it's tool axis.) We use that for rotating magazines.
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

Siemens Phenom

No these angle is usally used to bring a pre mounted tool (static on a turret) into the orientaiton when is becomes active and should be alligned with the turningworking plane.

May some pictures would help is sharing is allowed.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM

Genius
Genius

Ah yes the working angle might be what I was missing to simulate a phantom turret.  I will try to get to testing that in the next few days.

So if the phantom turret method works, it still means that I will need to make a pocket for every angle the customer plans to use.  I still feel like there must be a better way.

Phenom
Phenom
When you mentioned "Study, You're right, there is an option in this turning tool (one that I created) to choose which MCS it is under. You can choose a specific MCS or "Operation". That doesn't seem to fix the issue though." - did you create and modify an mcs for the purpose of rotating the lathe tool to the correct orientation? I have always seen this to be effective to turn a lathe tool. I am surprised that the lathe mcs used for the machining is not the correct one to put the tool in the turning plane but that depends on whether it is an XY or ZX plane I suppose.
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

Genius
Genius

Allllright.  I ended up doing a major revamp of my geometry, MCS's, etc.  It turns out you don't have to do anything special beyond having a new MCS for each hole location.  Thanks for all the input.  Happy to be moving forward again Smiley Happy

Learn online

Solution Information