Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Create a 5-axis(dual rotary tables) postprocessor

Experimenter
Experimenter
How to develop a 5axis post for an old CNC machine, which does not have TRAORI or TCP functions?

Legend
Legend

@satadru

Just use a Generic 5axis post. Set the machines origin at the machines center of rotation, and make sure the MCS in NX is also set to the same center of rotation relative to your part.

On machines without TCPM, I post from center of rotation, and the pivot distances in the post are all set to 0

I am trying to explain it as simply as possible. Let me know if you need more info.  

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP5 Primarily CAM

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Glenn Balon

First of all, thanx for your kind information.

still, I am using post configurator,

I need some more information regarding this topic.

How to set the machine's origin at the machine's center of rotation?

If possible, can you please send me any link or video related to my topic 

Thanks & Regards,

Satadru

Legend
Legend

On trunnion machines I use centerline of C to set XY. I use A to set Z. 

For finding center of C axis on a trunnion style machine where the C axis rotates around Z. I position the machine roughly at centerline of the C axis by picking up a hole (on most machines) that is in center of the C table. Next I place an indicator base on the table, and the indicator tip onto the inside of the spindle taper. I will spin the C table and adjust the XY axes until I see no indicator movement while C is rotating. At this position I zero out the XY work offset values.

Note: A rotary axis needs to be moving to really tell where it is. On many machines, even though an accurate hole may be on the table/pallet, there is sometimes a condition where they runout slightly. 

To get center of the Tilt A axis, rotate 90 degress and pick up the face. Some tables are above the centerline of A axis and some are below. Since you already picked up XY you can now activate that new offset and use the absolute position for calculation. You can use and edge finder (not very accurate) or a very accurate tool holder, or pin inside a toolholder along with gauge blocks to calculate the distance. 

For example at A-90 you touch off the side of a 1/2 dowel pin to a 1-2-3 block. So lets say the absolute readout is 1.1234 at this position. 

1.1234(Current absolute postion after touching off pin tangent to bloock at A-90) 

3.25 = 3.0(gauge block) + .25(half of .500 pin in holder)

3.25 - 1.1234 = 2.1266(distance from center of rotation to to table)

Now that you know where the centerline of A axis is, you can set the Z offset. Touch off the spindle face (gauge line) on the table, then shift if up by the 2.1266. In other words set Z at the table face @ A0 then shift up 2.1266(table face to COR distance)

Once set, the work offset can remain the same for years, but should be checked once in a while anyways.

You also should use positive height offsets (gauge line offsets) on the tools to keep things simple.

COR sample.PNG

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP5 Primarily CAM

Learn online

Solution Information