Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Simple Cutting Tool Standards

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We have a document that shows us to model the cutting tool in the X direction.  It also shows WCS at the end of the shank of the tool opposite of the cutting portion of the tool. 

Does the end of the tool (Shown in image below) have to be at absolute 0,0,0?  Or can the tool tip of the cutting portion be at 0,0,0 and the WCS moved to the end of the tool shank?

CAM_QUESTION.png

4 REPLIES

Re: Creating Simple Cutting Tool Standards

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Do you plan on using this tool in an assmebly? Are you going to use it in CAM, and IS&V?

Gears Phenom

yes  Going to be used in NX Cam, in an assembly/  Thanks

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

If you are not going to make the tool part of an assembly, and place only the cutter in the library, I would always place th center line og cutter on the XC axis, 0,0,0 at shank, tool pointing in the -X direction. 

If you are going to make a complete tool assembly to be placed in the library, then it does not matter where you create the individual components. When creating the assembly, I always start with the holder, where it socks up in spindle on 0,0,0, on the XC axis pointing in the -X direction, then assemble all the other components. I also define a parametric tool the represents the assembly in NX. Specify the mount and tip junction, pick cutting portion of tool and export to library.

The same would work for just the cutter.ScreenHunter_01 May. 02 11.56.gif

Gears Phenom

Thanks for the help. 

Learn online

Solution Information