Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Creating part attributes in a template file

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi guys,

I have been customizing my NX and post processors. Last week I have started to create a customized part file with the essential mill operations and the default parameters and a part file for turning operations too. I added these two templates in the cam_general.dat.

Well, doing this job I would like to create some attributes to include some information of the parts in the NC program. I create the attributes (File\Properties), but when I create a new blank file and choose my template, the attributes dosen't appear.

Have a way to load these attributes when I choose the respective template? Or I need to create a "new" blank file with my attributes for use them?

Could you help me?

Thanks!

Engineer and NC Programmer
NX 12.0.2 mp5
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Creating part attributes in a template file

Phenom
Phenom

you can't (not directly, several years ago I was using a grip, if my memory is good in Nx2. It is far!!) , but i know 2 solutions :

1. you can add attributes in any operations , program... and it can be also used in shop doc, post processor... etc if that’s what you’re thinking
  2. you can create a part in model template (available in  file > new > your_template.prt) and in this template you can add attributes File > Properties
Production: NX11.0.2.7,VERICUT 8.1.2
Development: Tcl/Tk, Gnuplot
www.adgroupe.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi @mkn, thanks!

I was thinking to define these attributes in the template.prt using your second option, but when I start a new file using the Blank template, the attributes doesn't come together. For explain: I create two templates files, for Turning and Milling, on each template I defined cycle operations, customized engages, retratcts, etc... In theses files I defined too differents attributes to insert some information in the post processed programs, but my idea was using only one Blank template and when I choose my CAM Setup (Turning or Milling) the respectives attributes could be loaded.

Thinking about this now is obvius that this doesn't works because the Blank file dosen't has the attributes. Your first solution is more acceptible in my case, I'll create the attributes that I need in the respective "program" templates and I'll create a custom to output only the attribute that I use. I think this works!

NX 12.0.2 mp5

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Another option (but it requires more work to set up) is to set up an "Attribute Template" file.

This lists attributes that are "available for use" but NOT necessarily defined.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/1847/nx_help/#uid:xid1128416:index_properties_parts_...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes, this option needs more work. If my cad platform had been NX, this option could be interesting.

I did how we discuss in the last post and worked fine. I create the attributes in the respective program group of the templates. When I choose one of the templates, the program group comes with the attributes, I marked to use the program group as template and if I insert a new program group, its come with the attributes too. If I have two or more programs in the same .prt, I can specify different information in the attributes.

After this I created a custom to read these attributes in the post processors if one or more have text. If the attributes have a text, the post processor puts it in the NC program as a commentary.

Thanks by the ideas! Smiley Happy

NX 12.0.2 mp5

Learn online

Solution Information