Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating postprocessor for 5 non perpendicular axis milling machine

[ Edited ]

Dear friends,

I have an intention to create a PP for this machine:

As you can see the axes A and C are not perpendicular. How should I describe these axes in PostBuilder? I entered the next configuration:

for axis C:

And for axis A:

meaning that the angle between axes is 45 degrees. And I doubt now maybe I should use this option instead:

The button "Display Machine Tool" says that image for that particular configuration is unavailable, so I cannot check whether the configuration is correct or not.

Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES

Re: Creating postprocessor for 5 non perpendicular axis milling machine

Hello,

I think C axis is OK.

A axis: J=1 and K=1. This mean 45º about YZ ==>√2/2

The button "Display Machine Tool" says that image for that particular configuration is unavailable, so I cannot check whether the configuration is correct or not.This option isn´t always available

Angular Offset 0 OK

Best Regards,

Cristian thank you for replying,

Are you shure about J=1 and K=1? Should the values I, J and K always be integer? I mean that J=0.707107 and K=0.707107 also gives us 45 degrees. Could you describe what does the "Angular Offset" stand for? How does the PostBuilder "understand" that A is dependant on C (not vice versa)?

What is meant by "Axis center"?

[ Edited ]

Here is another post with this subject:

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX/Do-we-still-need-Advanced-Kinemat...

While responding to this post - I had tested this with a HH rotary setup like you have. The only way I got good results was setting the machine as Null and with old kinematic solver. I did not try setting up the machine in machine tool builder. There is an option that (at one time) enabled this "advanced" feature while using the "old kinematic solver." I had started out by using the "new kinematic solver" by settings in post builder - and that was not working. I think Stefan builds his posts in tcl. The thing I question is whether settings in postbuilder can get good results with the new kinematic solver (which is default) with no machine (machine will set kinematic variables if it exists.) I am not sure if I was using 8.5 or 7.5 at the time (that may matter.)

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Hello,

Are you shure about J=1 and K=1? Yes I have sevaral machines of this type in TNC

Your machine is Ortogonal XYZ and this values are the Unit Vector (Until I know..) ==>Unit_vector

Could you describe what does the "Angular Offset" I thinks this is if you have a initial value different of 0. I never use it...

How does the PostBuilder "understand" that A is dependant on C (not vice versa)? If you have kinematics TT or HH, the 5º axis depends of the 4º axis. 

What is meant by "Axis center"?==> Normally this value is 0 because the machine calculate the offset value

the second case is for machines like this that their controller disregards the difference.

About NON-orthogonal axes this says the NX HELP 

Best Regards,

The only case I've used angular offset is on a mill-turn with 2 turrets.  "C0" for 1 turret was 180 eg opposite the C0 for the other, as a 180 deg angular offset fixed this.  (i.e. if I milled a flat on one side of the part with both turrets at "C0", I milled 2 flats opposite each other.  If I milled one at C0 and one at C180, they the both milled the same flat).

At one time (old solver?) this style machine (non-orthagonal rotary axes) required an advanced kinematics license (look for a feature named "ug_post_kinematics" in your license file, although there may be other features that work as well). 

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Thanks to all, it's more clear now.

Learn online

Solution Information