Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Operation Picture

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

How do I change little picture of a custom operation in the Create Operation Dialog box? I already changed the Cam_Picture in the properties box but I can't figure out how to change the other picture.

Thanks

7 REPLIES

Re: Custom Operation Picture

You are refering to the icon. The icon is a name match to the operation name, and then falls back to a hard coded one for the operation type. The OOTB icons are separate files in the install, but you can add your own icons as bmp files. For example, it looks like you have a customized CAVITY_MILL operation called TROCHOIDAL. If you put an icon trochoidal.bmp in the UGII_BITMAP_PATH, it will be displayed instead of the built in CAVITY_MILL icon.

There are more options and details if you want to go deeper. You can override the name match by using an attribute, but the name match is simpler. You can also read about the search bath for user bitmaps in the help.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Could you provide the file directory for this assuming I have installed NX to:

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 11.0\... 

Thanks

Check the syslog to see if UGII_BITMAP_PATH is defined. If it is not defined, then you should define it where you keep your customization. The search path for bitmaps is explained in the help 

I do not recommend putting any user customization in the path of the install. I would do all of your customization someplace else - see this video on Getting Started with NX CAM Customization for how to use user files without touching your install.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I've see that video many times and it has helped a lot. I still can't figure out how to change the icon though. Also I have all the NX Defaults backed up so if I make a mistake I can always copy paste or reference the Default values to fix my problem. With that I'm not worried about messing things up.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The problem with making edits in the NX install tree is 2-fold

1) Your change may break NX (you can fix using your backups)

2) An NX update (MR, MP) may over-write your change (if you don't back up your changes as well, they could be lost)

There's also a side issue (less so if you have a backup somewhere else): figuring out what you changed in version "X", to apply the same changes when you go to version "Y"

If you go over to the NX customization & programming forum, "pinned" to the top is a thread on  the "NXCustom utility" - I suggest you download the file appropriate to your version of NX and read the "readme". This offers a (more or less) standard way to add customizations in a SEPARATE area (separate than the install folder).  Note this also works with network drives, to allow you to share the same customizations for all users.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Imperial wrote:
I still can't figure out how to change the icon though. 

In your syslog, what is the value of UGII_BITMAP_PATH?

What is the name of the operation in the template part?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

After getting a little free time to work on this I finally got around to creating the customization folder that you guys recommended and I was able to get everything finished with the customization.

Thanks a lot for your help and in being patient with me. 

Here's what I have. Its a little ugly but I can change that later. 

Learn online

Solution Information