Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Custom (user defined) Cycles

I watched one of the Tech Tip videos that was entitled "How to make any hole with NX CAM". At the end of the video the presenter covers a custom drill cycle; I need to make a custom cycle for threadmilling but I cannot figure out how to add the custom cycle to the "Cycle Type" list in NX. I am pretty familiar with Post Builder so I think I understand the User Defined Cycle ok, but I'm stalled out until I can get the new cycle to appear in the list.

I've watched both of Mark Rief's CAM Customization videos and I was able to recreate what he does in them but I still cannot figure out how to add to the drill cycle list. I thought I would only need to open the hole_making.prt file and add to it, but that was not the case. Next I tried looking at the drill.prt but still no joy. I'd sure appreciate some help because I need to set something up to build a line of code that passes a set of variables to a Fanuc macro call for threadmilling that we use.

Once the new custom cycle is in the list, in this example's case, the Clevis Drill, how is the logic for the User Defined Cycle called up in the post?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

16 REPLIES

Re: Custom (user defined) Cycles

Hello, 

Like your user defined events, you need put in the *.cdl the code too.

Sample:

##########################################################

CYCLE taladrado_profundo_l20c
{
UI_LABEL "L20C"

PARAM spindle_speed_2
{
TYPE i
DEFVAL "6400"
UI_LABEL "Avance 3"
}

PARAM feed_2
{
TYPE i
DEFVAL "1500"
UI_LABEL "Avance 2"
}
PARAM feed_3
{
TYPE i
DEFVAL "750"
UI_LABEL "Avance 3"
}
PARAM feed_ret
{
TYPE i
DEFVAL "3000"
UI_LABEL "Avance retirada"
}
}

##########################################################

this works with the template hole_making.prt.

I hope this help you.

Best Regards,

Hi,

There is a video in the Tech tips area under the Postprocessors Called User Defined Events that might help you.

Most of it you will probably already know but it might show you something useful.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Where are the videos on this? I have created a cycle text but this may be better. Anyone done both?

Shags72 Mfg. Eng.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
NX 8.5.2.3 MP3 Teamcenter 8
Dell M6700 i7-3740QM 8GB RAM,
NVIDIA Quadro k3000M

Hello,

Video's are here and are part of a 16 video set.

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tech-Tips-Knowledge-Base-NX/User-Defined-Events/ta-p/...

I have found them quite useful in the past as a starting point.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tech-Tips-Knowledge-Base-NX/tkb-p/open_forum_1%40tkb/...

That link is for the CAM Customization videos, the ones I watched were "Getting started with NX CAM customization" and "How to create a NX CAM custom operation template"

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Tech-Tips-Knowledge-Base-NX/How-to-make-any-hole-with...

That link is for the video that has the custom drill cycle at the end of the video, it starts around 41:30

[ Edited ]

Thanks Dave, I had watched that video in the past, I just didn't make the connection until late last night that what I was trying to do would be done in the same way as the usual UDE addition. CristianMiguel confirmed what I thought might be that case in a previous post.

-Gary

Edit: I should add that Jim Wright's video series, of which this video is a part, is really great!

[ Edited ]

Cristian,

Thanks, it occurred to me late last night that this may be the case, I am working through a solution right now... 

-Gary

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author GaryBritton
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Hello,

You dont know the value of this variable in the new cycle.

Try with a custom command at the first of the special cycle like this:

global mom_sys_cycle_reps_code      ; set mom_sys_cycle_reps_code "XX" XX ==> Your code value

Best regards,

Thanks Cristian,

I thought that might work and tried it, I refreshed the webpage and saw no answers yet so I edited my previous post in an effort to avoid unneccessarily burdening anyone but you must have been working on an answer for me in the meantime. I am glad you answered as this confirms that I did in fact hit upon a good solution.

For the benefit of anyone that reads this thread, my question was why I was getting an error message:

and as Cristian points out, I needed to set the $mom_sys_cycle_reps_code myself, and I did, I set it to 65 so that I now get G65 in my output which is exactly what I need. I have since added a Pxxxx word to provide the macro number and am adding in the remainder of the variables.

Thanks again very much for all the help, I think I may be able to finish this up now.

_Gary

Learn online

Solution Information