Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom user templates error

I recently updated to NX 9.0.3.4 MP4, now when intializing a CAM setup or creating new Programs, Tools, Geometries, Methods, or Operations from any of our custom templates I get an Internal Error: Memory Access Violation. We have a custom Resource folder on our network, the environment variable is set up correctly, the cam_general.opt file has all our templates listed in it. Everything seems set up correctly, the templates are listed correctly in the dialog box type list, etc.

The NX supplied templates work just fine. Does anyone have an idea on why this is occuring?

The workaround is just to open the template file and copy and paste into the new file, so its not a huge problem but it is an inconvenience.

8 REPLIES

Re: Custom user templates error

Have you saved the files in your current NX version?

I would do it in the following steps:

1. open a fresh NX session
  2. open the part and make sure to not switch to any application but keep in gateway
  3. run part clean up which works best when run in gateway without switching to an application before
  4. save the part
  5. close the NX session

Having a fresh NX session makes sure to not have any dangling problems in the session.

BTW, what problem has been solved in MP4 that didn't have an acceptable workaround?

MPs should only be installed, if a problem is solved that has no acceptable workaround.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I followed your instructions with no luck, so I backed up to just the NX9.0.3.4 without the maintenance pack, and everything is working now.

I will stay away from the maintenance packs from now on, unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Maintenance packs are only tested on having the issue corrected, they are not in depth tested, if there is bad influence on other things.

Maintenance releases are fully tested, so it is usually safe to install them after a week of testing them.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

The Readme file for each MP has a list of fixed PRs, inluding all previous MPs, so you can look and see if any of them apply to you.

Did you call GTAC or save the syslog for the template problem? It would be good to know who was happening.
Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

I did save a copy of the syslog, but haven't had the time to give GTAC a call yet, but I will when I get a spare couple of minutes. As I said the easy workaround is just to open the template file and copy and paste, so its not like its super important for me.

It is strange though, it seems to be caused by the name of the template, before reverting back I took mill_contour.prt OOTB version, which was working just fine, renamed it to mill_contour_test.prt added it to the cam_general.opt file and then it also stopped working.

I found some time to investigate this further, and your reply Mark to the "Template defaults being lost during updates?" thread, kick started my thoughts and I got it figured out.

When "Use Latest Updated Templates" is checked in the Customer Defaults, all custom files have to be located in the "C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 9.0\MACH\updates\template_part" folder for them to be able to be used as templates.

Is there an environment variable for the update folder that I could change to be able to put it on our network.

The update folder is not meant for customization, it is strictly used by the maintenance release and maintenance pack to avoid overwriting templates that the user altered in the regular location.

Generally it is bad habit to change the files in the installation location of NX, best is to place copies of folders on network shares and customize those.

See the NX_custom package available in the customization forum for a blue print of how NX is best customized.

It contains read-me files in each folder with explanations.

The file %UGII_ROOT_DIR%\ugii_env_ug.dat contains the variables that are used to point to certain locations of NX support files.

The location of the updates folder is not user-definable - it is based on the location of

UGII_CAM_BASE_DIR. This is for our updates in maintenance releases, not for user customizations.

You should define the location of the resource folder ising

UGII_CAM_RESOURCE_DIR to point your customized resource files.

If you want to redirect only templates, you can get more detailed with variables such as

UGII_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_DIR, but I recommend keeping all the resource files together for easier management.. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information