Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize Machine Control dialog

Hi 

Inspired by Jake(CAM_God_Rambo) and  Dave (CAM_Jockey) on the trend:

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX/Probing-on-the-mill-using-renisha...

(message No.5 and No.12)

I made my own UDE for probing and added it to a Machine Control Operation in a templete file.

However,I notice that it seems for Dave's UDE, when it comes to probing a bore/boss, the user needs to ENTER the bore/boss diameter manually. That seems to be a little inconvenient. 

Therefore, I want to put a button inside the Machine Control Opertion dialog box and associate Journals to it. So that once the user clicks the button, NX will prompt the user to select the face of the boss/bore and information like diameter, measure depth will automatically be updated to the UDE.  

Is this achievable? 

Thanks in advance

Stephan

4 REPLIES

Re: Customize Machine Control dialog

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if there is a way to add journal to UDE.

I've thought about this, and the best I could come up with is...

1) API/Journal to pick the hole then do all the work (create the operation & fill in the UDE)
Note you might want to use attributes/UDOs/??? to retain associativity

2) API code as part of the *post*.  API would called by the post when it reaches this event.  Pass into API mom_pos (center/top of hole), maybe tool axis as well.  API would have to figure out which hole face is centered on that point (and along that axis) & return diameter, etc.  Note in some cases this is relatively easy, but in the general case it could be a lot harder (e.g. non-planar top surface of hole).

3) *Possibly* feature recognition / FBM could do something?  I know in FBM the diameter is available to the FBM code to do logic (e.g. "if dia < 2 inch drill the hole, else mill the hole") but I'm not sure if/how FBM could pass that diameter to the post....

Hopefully there's a better answer...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

When customizing the dialogs in CAM, you need to select from the items availabl - you can;t add your own.

I think you could do this with a journal. I would not attempt to save data in the operation while you are editing it (i.e. the dialog is open), but you may be able to preload it. You could select the operation in the navigator, then hit a button in the ribbon to run your journal to add data to the operation, and then edit the operation as usual.

Or as Ken said, make a journal to do the whole thing.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I like the principal of the idea as that is how prod+ works in Gibbs you select the feature/Geometry and it updates the information from there.

We did look at doing something similar but other projects got in the way so have never gone forward with it, the programmers get but ok by inserting the desired Dia but if it could be done by pulling the information from the model I'm all for it.

Good Luck

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Eventually, I created an interface by using BlockStyler to allow me select and only select a hole. And in the interface, as I click ok, the UDE will get updated with my geometrical information. 

Learn online

Solution Information