Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize the Feature Type of Tag Face in Feature Based Machining

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello there,

In FBM, I can use the Parametric Recognition of Find Features to find most of the holes that I want to machine and map them to the types I want. But in our model, we have a few intersecting holes which can not be found by Parametric Recognition (the green holes in the following pic).

Intersecting Holes.PNG

I tried solving this by using Feature Identification or Legacy Hole Recognition of Find Features, but as some attributes (e.g. THREAD_DIAMETER_NR) of the features found by them are missing, they didn't work well.

Now I am trying to use Tag Face to tag the holes, but there are only certain out-of-the-box Feature Types in Face Tag. I hope I can customize the Feature Type and the Feature Templates in Tag Face so that I can tag the holes as the types I want along with all their attributes directly.

I was wondering how I can customize the Feature Type of Tag Face in FBM.

I have found the file tagging.dat. Besides, I tried adding new features in hole_making template, but I can only define them as the out-of-the-box feature types and I cannot select feature that I want to define as well.

Thanks,

Kai

4 REPLIES

Re: Customize the Feature Type of Tag Face in Feature Based Machining

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You need to add custom features in MKE, then you can use these in FBM.

Be prepared for a steep learning curve and make sure to progress in tiny steps, since this is a huge area of possibilities.

Without an excellent training in MKE and FBM, you are likely to fail anyways.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Stephan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been working on MKE and FBM for several months at work. I understand how to add new features in Customization tab of MKE and map the parametric features (like STEPHOLE) to the features I add.

But now the problem is, those two intersecting holes cannot be recognized by the out-of-the-box recognition rule at all. The only reason is that they are intersecting with each other. After I increased the length of one hole (so that they are not tangent), they can be found by the out-of-the-box recognition rule.

Regards,

Kai

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Kai -

Have you reported this issue to GTAC?

To me, it should not matter that they are intersecting, or that "tangent" intersection does not work, but making the hole deeper does, it an issue Siemens needs to address.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Kai,

Intersecting holes are normally no problem for the automatic Feature Recognition.

We get a few cases like this per year where small modeling errors (very small extra faces that shouldn't be there) are causing problems.

As Ken mentioned, please contact GTAC and file an IR.

We'll look at it and let you know if this is a modeling error or possibly a software issue or ...

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information