cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut and paste message in NX9

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I am hoping this is an easy fix.  Every time I cut and paste or drag and drop an operation in NX9.0.3 I get a message about the order of the operations.  Is there any way to disable this?CUT_PASTE_ONT.JPG

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.2.7
44 REPLIES

Re: Cut and paste message in NX9

Pioneer
Pioneer

agreed

Ray
NX9.0.3.4 MP1

John,

You should only see this message if you move operations in the program view, and the affected operations are in the same geometry group, and the order inside that geometry group changes.

If you are seeing this in another case, can you show what the program and geometry views look like?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

PLM World Member Phenom

Yes this is in the program view.  I move operations around a lot. 

How can I shut this off?

www.senioraeroct.com

You cannot shut this off - and it's intentional. I'll try to explain the logic...

First let's look at the geometry view, where operations are organized based on their orientation and what geometry "feature" they cut. Consider a geometry group with several operations inside it. The system knows that since these operations are in the same geometry group, they need to stay in that "relative" order when they are sent to the machine. It could be a drill followed by a tap, or a cavity mill followed by a rest mill followed by a finish mill.

Now let's look at the program view. In a single program, the order of operations is the machining order output to the machine. When the system sees operations in a program group, that are also in the same geometry group, it makes sure the order from the geometry group is enforced in the program view. It doesn't matter if operations from other geometry groups are in between them, as long as the tap follows the drill from the same geometry group, things are OK.

So if you reorder operations in a geometry group, the system changes the program view if needed, without warning, because this is the intent.

But if you make a change in the program view that will cause operations to reorder in the geometry view, the system warns you, because this could easily lead to trouble, such as tapping a hole before it is drilled.

There is whole lot more to this topic, especially regarding drag and drop, and changing the geometry parent from inside the operation, but this should explain your situation.

Maybe I should do a tech tip on view synchronization?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

PLM World Member Phenom

Mark,

I could understand this if it was consistent. When I delete an operation I do not get any warning and that would have just as much of an impact on the downstream operations.

The first project I encountered with this the only Geometry is the MCS group. This was an old file that was originally created in UG-V16 and needed to be updated. Continually having to click OK to confirm a decision I decided to make is frustrating. I will submit an ER to request this be changed. I the end user and customer should be able to override what the “System” thinks I should be able to do.

www.senioraeroct.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Mark -

Up till now, we NEVER CARED what the order operations are listed in the geometry view.  In previous versions, if we re-ordered the program view, did the ops get re-ordered in the geometry view? (in NX7.5 - the answer is MAYBE - if you re-order ops by dragging/dropping before/after the other op, it appears they re-order in both views, but if you drag-drop on the parent, only the 1 view is re-ordered)

If not, then there will be all kinds of inconsitancies in our parts.  So what happens if we open an NX7.5 part in NX9?  Does it re-order the program view to match the geometry view?  Does it re-order the geometry view to match the program view?  Does it do neither (at which point the argument for doing what you are doing goes out the window, as the geometry view order is in NO order, and may possibly be WRONG - i.e. tap before drill)?

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We are posting from within the program order view, so we never care about the other views operation order.

Why should one care about the other views, if only the program order is important?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

PLM World Member Phenom

I have submitted ths as an IR #7214700 and asked it to be turned into a ER.  I don't expect this to be fixed immediatly but will use what little infulence I have with other customers to get this pushed forward.

www.senioraeroct.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you get the ER number, post it here, so we can be added to the list of customers supporting this ER Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information