Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cutting tools from CAD model

Hello,

I have CAD model files for cutting tools from our tool designer and some downloaded from tool manufacturer (some Solidedge some .stl files). I wonder if I can import them into NX tool library quickly without enter tool parameters again in NX.

Thanks,

NX10.0.3.5

11 REPLIES

Re: Cutting tools from CAD model

There are several discussion on this if you search.

In summary, to generate the tool path, the cutting tool and holder must be defined parametrically. There are tools to create the holder from a solid.

Visualization can use the tool and holder solids.

Take a look at MRL, which allows you to bring in vendor tool files.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Thank you Mark for your quick reply. What I have done before was open the model, create parametric tool to match the model and export to library. Worked no problem for both toolpath and tool graphic.

This time I have many tools, I want to speed up the process if possible. Unfortunately, We don'n have Teamcenter and MRL at this point. Can you give some advice to do this quickly.

Can you give more infomation about "There are tools to create the holder from a solid." Is it through spreadsheet for tool holders?

Thanks,

This is the thread on creating mill/drill holders (the stack of steps) from a solid or curves: https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/Sample-vb-program-...

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

@MarkRief

Can the MRL be used without Teamcenter?

NX 11.0.2

Mould_United wrote:

@MarkRief

No, to run MRL you need a functional Teamcenter installation, since MRL is a hierarchical structure inside Teamcenter classification.

Why use solid tools at all, since they are not supported by the majority of the CAM operations, just by a hand full.

For IS&V you also need a simplified representation, I don't see any value in using solid tools at all.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Mould_United wrote:

@MarkRief

The MRL database is hosted and authored in Teamcenter, but both managed and native CAM users can retrieve tools. Native users need the MRL Connect product. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

From what I have inferred...(I don't use MRL, and we have full TC install anyhow)

If you don't have TC, when you install the MRL a "minimal" (tailored? whatever you want to call it) install of Teamcenter is done, to hold the database for the MRL objects (and set up classification, etc.).

So users don't really need to deal with TC (it is done for them using the MRL Connect software/interface)

I would assume there is a certain amount of admin required on the TC side, but (guessing) it should be minimal.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

As far as I know the MRL setup asks you for the Teamcenter connection, so any kind of Teamcenter installation must exist, RapidStart or whatever.

You may use the Teamcenter installation in the UG-Manager way instead of the IMAN way, but there must be an existing installation for MRL to build on.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

[ Edited ]

There are 2 roles - the Tooling Engineer and the NC Programmer.

• The Tooling Engineer works in TC.
  • The NC Programmer can work in either TC or Native

A native NC Programmer must provide Teamcenter credentials in order to access the tool library. This is the only hint that Teamcenter is in use.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information