Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Different Feed rate for diffferent milling passes

Hello,

I would like to mill some cavityes and I need to make two passes.

I used a Cavity Mill operation and i set the option "additional passes = 1". So i can leave a stock material to machine the final finish operation. 
For this reason I need to set different feed rate. I can't do two different operations with different feed rate values for some tecnological aspects.

I would like to know how I can do this issue.

Thank you.

Marco

8 REPLIES

Re: Different Feed rate for diffferent milling passes

Marco,

as far as I know you can't control the finish pass speed/feed independently. Instead you could leave some radial stock and  use floor/wall or floor/wall with ipw to clean up and specify a very large stepover (if needed) to avoid cutting the floor. Not a single operation but will do the job. You could also use z level profile to clean the sides, if you prefer.

Harri

Hi Marco,

One way to set different feedrates for each pass or for each move is use Tool Path > Edit.

I'm sending a small video with a simple example of how you can do this.

Regards,

Jean Marcel

Jean Marcel
PLMPRO
www.plmpro.com.br

Hi Jean,

Thank you for your suggestion! 
However if I have a lot of cavity in a mold I have to select each step.
I've seen that I can select the tool path between a range but I need two click for each cavity. It is not so good.

How can I improve this?

Marco,

You can improve the selection using the Selection Retangle or Lasso or Polygon.

Untitled.png

Jean Marcel
PLMPRO
www.plmpro.com.br

[ Edited ]

One more suggestion:

-create original cavity mill and leave desired finishing allowance

-copy this operation, mark part side stock to 0

-containment: 3d ipw

-choose cut pattern "profile"

This will whip around the walls where material was left and you can even specify how many stepovers you want.

But as you suggest I can't do the different cavity in the way that i would like to do.
By means of your suggestion the tool will work the first stepover and then realize the finish operation. So i will have double non cutting moviments and also it could be a problem for the tool when it come back to engage the second time. I would like to realize the two stepover with different feed rates without that the tool goes out from the cavity.... @JeanM proposed a solution but unfortunately it isn't very automatic..

MarcoRiva,

I'm sorry I can't help you any more than this, you might have to go with the non-automatic option or allow the tool to lift once. There are far more experienced users on this forum who might still come up with a better solution.

Regards,

Harri

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author MarcoRiva
‎06-06-2016 01:44 AM

here is the solution I found, hope it helps.

Create a cavity mill operation with the following parameters:

Pattern: Follow Periphery

Stepover: Constant - 10000mm (use a value that is bigger than the biggest pocket you need to machine)

Pattern Direction ( cutting Parameters): Outward

Turn on option Add Finish Passes (cutting Parameters), specify one pass ad set the finish stepover you want for the outermost pass.

Feeds and Speeds: set a different feed rate for CUT (it will be used for finish pass) and First CUT in more tab (it will be used for "roughing" pass).

You can see the video here:

https://youtu.be/OxwfFTOgB1E

have a nice day

Learn online

Solution Information