Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Different template_part_planner.dat ???

Hello!

We have a small problem. We have a fully TC-integrated CAM environment.The templates for the different CAM-Setups are specified in template_part_planner.dat in TC. This is for NX8.5

Now we want to have an environment for NX10 additional to NX8.5 in the same TC. For NX10 we want to have different templates than in NX8.5

My question: Is it possible to have a different template_part_planner.dat if we start TC for NX10?

Note: It's the same TC than in NX8.5 

Thanks for your help.

Werner

2 REPLIES

Re: Different template_part_planner.dat ???

A "definite maybe"?

But first, I would highly recommend getting everyone on the same version of NX.  Using multiple versions of NX with the same TC database is a recipe for disaster (someone refilas a bolt or screw in NX10, all of a sudden no assembly will open in NX8.5 because thay can't open the bolt part)

If both NX versions are using the same TC database, you'll have to do some "magic" somewhere to point to the NX10 file(s) for NX10 and NX8.5 file(s) for NX8.5

1) Is template_part_planner.dat stored in the operating system, or TC?

a) If in the OS, then you could define in your ENV file to point to different folders for different NX versions using the "#if" constructs in an ENV file (or in your start_nxmanager.bat)

something like (replace "XXXX" with the required ENV variable):

#if $UGII_VERSION = "v8.5"
     XXXX=template_p​art_planne​r.dat 
#else
#if UGII_VERSION = "v10"
     XXXX=template_p​art_planne​r_NX10.dat 
#endif
#endif

...or you could point to different folder trees and keep the file name itself the same.

b) not sure about TC, but if you have a "template_p​art_planne​r_nx10.dat", you should be able to use it depending on how you define the use of "template_p​art_planne​r.dat" for NX8.5 (again, I'd look at ENV variables)

Docs on the ENV file "#if" stuff is in the Release notes -> System Information -> Platforms ->

"NX variables in the ugii_env.dat file"

Hope this helps...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: Different template_part_planner.dat ???

I will try to answer best I can. Jim Maynard just help me with this subject.

You can edit the start_nxmanager.bat in the TC Root/portal dir. This is the file that starts NX.

Usually this is only one version of NX and agree with Ken that this can be dangerous (versioning of cad/cam parts may not open in earlier version of NX). This can happen as accident as we all know.

So now that we all understand this and is known, YES, you can run multiple versions of NX in TC by editing this file and spelling out multiple line that define the different UGII_BASE and Root Dirs and even diffrent part_planner and/or cam_general.dat

This approach allows you to not have to change the configs but just point to correct Base and Root dirs in MACH dir.

Below is portion of start_nxmanager.bat edited as a reference....

If you do this, Please Copy and paste the originals in case you get in deep water and cant swim back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:version_v27

echo. You are launching NX9

rem set the UGII_BASE_DIR
set UGII_BASE_DIR=C:\Apps\PLM\NX90
set UGII_ROOT_DIR=%UGII_BASE_DIR%\ugii

rem Check whether UGII_BASE_DIR is set
if NOT EXIST "%UGII_BASE_DIR%" goto :nx_error
rem

:selection_cpara
set /p config_used= Desired CAM configuration : 1 = cam_general, 2 = part_planner_mrl :  

If "%config_used%" == "1" (goto :config_9_general)
If "%config_used%" == "2" (goto :config_9_planner)

echo. You typed in an incorret value or nothing at all!
echo. Please type the correct config value.       
goto :selection_cpara

:config_9_general
set UGII_CAM_CONFIG=%UGII_BASE_DIR%\MACH\resource\configuration\cam_general.dat
echo. Setting UGII_CAM_CONFIG to local cam_general.dat
goto :v27_route

:config_9_planner
set UGII_CAM_CONFIG=%UGII_BASE_DIR%\MACH\resource\configuration\cam_part_planner_mrl.dat
echo. Setting UGII_CAM_CONFIG to local cam_part_planner_mrl.dat

:v27_route
rem Start Unigraphics through the launcher program
%UGII_ROOT_DIR%\ugs_router -ugm -enable_cancel -version=V27.0 %*

goto :ENDOFFILE

:version_v28.0

echo. You are launching NX10

rem set the UGII_BASE_DIR
set UGII_BASE_DIR=C:\Apps\PLM\NX10
set UGII_ROOT_DIR=%UGII_BASE_DIR%\ugii

rem Check whether UGII_BASE_DIR is set
if NOT EXIST "%UGII_BASE_DIR%" goto :nx_error

:selection_10_cpara
set /p config_used=Desired CAM configuration : 1 = cam_general, 2 = part_planner_mrl :  

If "%config_used%" == "1" (goto :config_10_general)
If "%config_used%" == "2" (goto :config_10_planner)

echo. You typed in an incorret value or nothing at all!
echo. Please type the correct config value.       
goto :selection_10_cpara

:config_10_general
set UGII_CAM_CONFIG=%UGII_BASE_DIR%\MACH\resource\configuration\cam_general.dat
echo. Setting UGII_CAM_CONFIG to local cam_general.dat
goto :v265_route

:config_10_planner
set UGII_CAM_CONFIG=%UGII_BASE_DIR%\MACH\resource\configuration\cam_part_planner_mrl.dat

=====================================================================

and yes, you still are required to import the new CAM templates in infodba home using tcin_cam_template_setup.bat in TC command prompt

Learn online

Solution Information