Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Different tool-types in NXCAM

Hello!

We have a real problem with different tool-types, which do not exist in NXCAM:

The first one I've defined as a mill_user_defined.

The second one I've defined as a 5-parameter-tool with negative taper-angle.

The problem is: This tools I can't use with the operation-type I need: HOLE_CHAMFER_MILLING

The only operation-type I can use the tools in the way I need is PLANAR_PROFILE.

But with PLANAR_PROFILE it's not very easy to machine a chamfer with this tools. You have to run a lot of effort and you need much know how.

The next thing is: I miss CHAMFER_MILLING (without HOLE_). Chamfers, which are not at a hole I want to machine on the same way like I can do it with HOLE_CHAMFER_MILLING.

Which solutions do you have for this problems?

Can we expect solutions from SPLM? When?

Werner

9 REPLIES

Re: Different tool-types in NXCAM

While I agree with the need to directly have these tools available...

What NX version are you using?

Have you tried step drills?

You may need a (whatever dia) x .001" "step" at the end (before the taper), but they can be used in most milling operations.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

We work productive with NX8.5.3.3 and testing NX10.0.2.6

Stepdrills I tried, but this is not what we want. It's only the next crutch.

Werner

Hello!

It is frustrating. We are now working in a test group with productive NX10.0.3.5
Unfortunately, I have to declare those above shown tools still as 5-parameter tools. Originally I wanted to declare these tools in NX10 as UserDefinedTools to have a real tool-contour. If I do that I can't use this tools in hole_milling and not in hole_chamfer_milling. Also our UserCycles will not work with UserDefinedTools because there the tool diameter is queried, UserDefinedTools have no diameter. We need these tooltypes. Really. This is no joke. It can't be so complicated to generate new tooltypes. Where is the difficult?
We are working since NX4 with tricks to get a acceptable result in the NC-output. The IPW I can't pay attention if I work in this way.
We gradually have no more understanding of these policies. Sorry. Please move on as soon as possible.

Werner

Have you looked at the back_countersink tool and operation? 

This may help you out if you are countersinking the back side of a hole.

In the NX 11.0.x releases, 2 new boring tool shapes for chamfering are coming out that I think you will like.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Mark,

the tools Werner is longing for are milling tools. The back-bore tool released in NX10 cannot be used for chamfer-milling operations as far as i know. In addition to that it is currently limited to 45degree chamfers. Back boring for countersinks is not possible. Will this be changed in NX11.0.x?

Peter

icasod wrote:

Mark,

the tools Werner is longing for are milling tools. The back-bore tool released in NX10 cannot be used for chamfer-milling operations as far as i know. In addition to that it is currently limited to 45degree chamfers. Back boring for countersinks is not possible. Will this be changed in NX11.0.x?

Peter

2 new tool types and operations are planned for 11.0.2 - one for back-chamfer milling (the one I think you're looking for) and one for back-spot facing. We are also looking at relaxing the 45 degree limitation on the back-countersink tool.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

sounds promising! It would be great if these tools also support the drive-point in planar profile. At the moment drive-point support is limited to chamfer mill, t cutter and user defined tool. It would be helpfull in some cases if the tracking points of other tools could also be used like for the tool mentioned above to avoid the need for the floor plane.

Peter

Hello!

After posting this topic I've created a call at GTAC. Meanwhile I got two ERs for this:

IR 7669323 has been converted to ER 7669323

New Tooltype for Chamfer Milling Front and Back Chamfer Operation

and

IR 7669337 has been converted to ER 7669337

New Tool Type Definition for Angle Milling Cutters

If you like this please support the ERs at GTAC and click the "Me too". Perhaps we can push the request.

Thank you all for the discussion.

Werner

jobe wrote:

If you like this please support the ERs at GTAC and click the "Me too". Perhaps we can push the request.

"Me too" won't work, you always have to open an IR to be added to an existing ER or PR on request.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information