Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving tool on a narrow profile

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I tried several ways to machine between 2 red lines in picture, while keeping the tool bottom away from the next teeth profile. 

Profile.png

Contour Profile with a dummy floor extrusion at thin red line gave me nothing.

I think that access vector setting is just an approximation of the tool axis, tool axis rotates to possible contact of the tool depending on geometry.

I want to get an efficient toolpath along this profile but after many trials I couldn't succeed with Variable Streamline either.

Any suggestions of operation type, geometry?

11 REPLIES

Re: Driving tool on a narrow profile

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hello dfdfgs,

interesting question :-)

Would you mind sharing the part with us, so that we can give it a try?

Cheers,
Alexander

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sure, here it is

(NX 10.0.3.5 mp17)

Siemens Phenom

Hello,

so I checked the part and I know that your intend was to use a stable tool instead of a smaller ball mill.

I had the apprehension that the part geometry won't allow to use your selected tool without gouging the part.

After checking it I got verification that it won't work. I did offset the curve with a value of 0.5 mm and created linear extensions of the circles. The angle between this two curves has to have at least 90° to make it possible to use the tool you intended. Unfortunately it is not (only 74.5410°).

You can see what I did in the picture below.

2017-09-06 11_36_36-NX 10 - Manufacturing - [CAM_model1.prt (Modified) ].png

I don't know how many pieces you have to do of that geometry, but maybe talking to your tool provider will help. If you have to create thousands of pieces it might be worth to create a tool with a special profile. This will save you the most machining time and the ROI for the special tool will be quick.

Cheers,

Alexander

Experimenter
Experimenter

Not sure if this is what your after, but attached are a few different paths that hopefully will get you what you want. The paths are in the "assembly1.prt" file. 

Highlighted

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Mbruggeman,

@Mbruggeman wrote:

Not sure if this is what your after, but attached are a few different paths that hopefully will get you what you want. The paths are in the "assembly1.prt" file. 

This is very good, near perfect, thank you for your effort, I have never used Interpolate vector before.

The only thing is the unreachable bottom of the tooth. But, anyway, it should leave a very small spike, which can be ignored maybe.

Uncut.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@AlexanderFreund

I thought it was possible with 1 or 2 operations when I take a brief look to the profile and tool.

Well, thank you for your valuable work. Yes, I wanted to have a stable tool. Pieces not much but still its going to take unacceptable time even with the stable tool with a corner radius.

As you suggest, I have a special profile cutter but it is an helix one which is made for gear hobbing. If it cuts on straight path, wall is going to be flat I mean.

Because of helix, cutters needs have a small angle like 1.5 while cutting on helix drive curve, do you know how can I achieve this? 

HCurve.png

Is it possible to do hobbing like this with NX?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

After thinking over it a little bit, I came to conclusion that it is not possible, unless I mount my cylinder in the center of the table, give B axis a slight angle like (90)-1.50 degrees, and move across X axis keeping same Z height.

I think I need to work on Generic Motions because I sense I cannot do it with Variable Curve Drive method.

I'm still trying to figure out C Axis rotational sync with tool RPM.

Thank you very much AlexanderFreund and Mbruggeman for your help, have a good day.

Siemens Phenom

It is always worth to ask your tool provider. Those tool guys have a good idea most of the time.

Maybe there is an easy way to grind the profile in an end mill, so that you can pre-rough it and finish with the profiled tool. Sometimes it's not that costy as you might think.

Cheers,

Alexander

Legend
Legend

Can you just use a full concave cutter like this to get by for now?

I was going to check it out but you removed the original file

http://www.harveytool.com/prod/Browse-Our-Products/Specialty-Profiles/Concave-Radius-End-Mills_199/C...

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Learn online

Solution Information