cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Turret Lathes

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am starting to work on getting NX set up for our 4-axis lathes. I have read a bunch of older posts regarding this subject but most of them seem to be from around NX4 - NX5 time period. Our dual turret lathes are all Okuma's and I have already created posts for our 2-axis lathes so all I need now is to get the synching part figured out. I played around with the synch manager samples for sim13 and it seems pretty straight forward for the dual channel machines but my issue is that the Okumas are not 2-channel machines. They use G13 and G14 to specifiy the upper or lower turret and utilze read ahead to recognize the P codes for each sync. Is anyone using this feature for single channel dual turret machines? Or does it have to be a multiple channel machine?

Ken A,

I have read some of your posts about setting up UDE's for these same machines but I believe they are from a while ago. Have you had any success with the synch. manager for these machines?

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2
5 REPLIES

Re: Dual Turret Lathes

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well, from an NX point of view, they ARE 2 channel machines.  They just use the same NC file for both channels (and split it when read into the control)

I would define a global array for G13/14 output, indexed on the turret's channel, Assuming the channels are "1" and "2", something like:

global jasonp_turret_code
set jasonp_turret_code(1) "13"  ;# upper turret
set jasonp_turret_code(2) "14"  ;# Lower turret

Then use the "channel" variable (assigned to turret/"carrier" object) for output of correct array instance.

You can combine the 2 channel output files when posting thru sync manager.  I believe the proper way to do this is to use PB_CMD_combine_nctapes - search uganswer and you'll see a couple posts on this, but you may have to ask GTAC for the code.  Note the combined file is "all of head 1" followed by "all of head 2".  Our users typically want something more like:

- head 1, first op

- head 2, first op

- head 1, 2nd op

- head 2, 2nd op

There's also a bunch of "start" and "end" lines they want together.

And the really nasty issue of "dummy" operations that the users want added. (i.e. when head 1 is machining & head 2 is doing nothing, they want a "dummy" operation on head 2.  On SOME Okumas this seems to be required).

Also, syncing pinch/balance turn operations has proven interesting.

For now (mostly out of inertia and lack of "play time") I haven't bothered trying to convert from using UDEs to using the sync mgr for our Okumas.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ken,

Thanks for the reply! Our users will want the same output as yours. (head1, op1 - head 2, op1 - etc.) Using the UDE's are you able to simulate both turrets machining simultaneously somehow? Right now we program in MasterCAM V9 (Yes V9, not X9... haha) like a regular 2 axis lathe and then sync the code by hand so anything is an upgrade.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Never set up simulation, so I don't know, but I suspect not.

Siemens folks - if we have sync codes in PTP file (not added thru sync manager) does simulation recognize them if we simulate using G&M code?    Or does simulation ONLY support sync codes when run thru sync manager?

Note on Okumas, the sync codes are "P" words, on the same line as regular output

M1 P1

G97 S500 M3 P2

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Simulation for multi channel machine tool works too also for exteranl NC code, but is needs two separate NC tapes one for each channel. We never worked on that fancy G13 G14 split in one file and I doubt simulation can be configured to handle such a single file and drive two channels in synchronized way.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

I've done similar things with vintage Okuma dual turrets.  Never tried to use ISV or synch manager with them as there was no milling involved.

Regarding pinch turning though, I have some useful tips:

Set both upper and lower roughing ops to use a local return point.

When you define the local return, add a START EVENT to it which of course will be your Synch mark UDE.  (This will assure that all the roughing passes are synchronized)

Switch off "Update IPW" in the first op so the second op will find material to remove.

Hope this is useful.

George

George Bennett
All NX versions
W7 Ultimate
Dell Precision M6700
Spirit of Innovation

Learn online

Solution Information