Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDIT TEXT

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

Please forgive my frustrated sounding post. I have only been using NX10 for a year. Upgraded to NX11 upon release. So i am still faily new to the NX game and there is still alot of things I don't know and need help with. So I am here! One thing on my list is Bulk editing text in manufacturing. A simple tool/ button called "TEXT EDIT/FIND REPLACE" needs to be added if not already. Notepad has it, Excel has it, and I'm sure a bunch of other CAD/CAM and less expensive softwares have it.  Is there a text edit tool somewhere that I dont know about?  I have alot of toolpaths to rename and its not just a matter of naming them 1,2,3,4,5,ect,.  Also, I am not a VB programer, so if doing coding is a solution,  you will have to be very thorough in your response.

Any help would be great!

Best,

DBFOSTER24

4 REPLIES

Re: EDIT TEXT

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Lets make sure we are talking about the same thing. 

Do you want to rename a bunch of operations on the operation navigator or exit posted output?

If you want to rename operations there is a sample journal for that - look in

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\CAM\RenameOperationsOntSelection.vb

to use this

1. select the operations you want to rename

2. enter the text you want to replace

3 enter the new text

4 click OK

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace
Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Pioneer
Pioneer
camster,

Thank you! I have never used journals before. This just blew my mind. I had to change the amount of characters used in RenameOperationsOntSelection.vb file. Then it worked perfectly. I definitely don't know a lot about editing VB code so this will take some practice.

Thanks again for the help!

DBFOSTER24

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You can take this to the next step and create a button to do this.  Look in the help under

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace
Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

@dbfoster24 wrote:
camster,

Thank you! I have never used journals before. This just blew my mind. I had to change the amount of characters used in RenameOperationsOntSelection.vb file. Then it worked perfectly. I definitely don't know a lot about editing VB code so this will take some practice.

Thanks again for the help!

DBFOSTER24

I knew @joycejo pointed you in the right direction. Good catch on the characters - this journal was written before the name length was expanded. As you see, if you have a good starting point, even a non-programmer can usually edit a journal to suit. 

This is one of my favorite journals, always on my ribbon. If you add it to your ribbon, try the icon ont_o_rename.

my_journals_on_ribbon.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information