Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ER 7695243:OPEN MIND Technologies AG (hyperMILL) + Mastercam vs. Siemens NX

Creator
Creator

Legend
Legend

I have worked for customers who use several CAM systems. They do make quite a bit of use of the Dynamic Milling in Mastercam. While NX is by far a much superior CAD/CAM package; when I tell them that funtionality is an extra module add on for NX from Volumill, I always get a surprised look.

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP5 Primarily CAM

Legend
Legend

^ But but but... they don't Post Builder. Now you see, you win there

Cavity Mill. When (if) you know how to use the Cut Levels and match those along Non cutting Moves options, you can get pretty advanced tool paths. Somehow as effective as those "Click and Generate" strategies from MisterCam, HippyMill and others. Needs a bit of tweeking but once you get it, you can save this in your cam template.prt and off you go.

Floor and Wall is also killer... for prismatic part anyway. Not sure what else you need really.

More Youtube vids!!!

Legend
Legend

I agree NX is far superior. I used Mastercam after having used NX for many years and was surprised at all the extra steps required to do simple tasks. Management assumed I didn't like it because it was different, but it literally took 15 steps to do what was only 3 steps in NX. It is still difficult to explain the advantages to non technical person. They assume the best selling software is the "best" software. Ask them this.. Is the best selling car the best car?? And why don't you own that car then?

Glenn Balon
Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi all,

I still remember this topic from when I joined Siemens in mid 2016.

With huge help from all of you guys working with NX day in and day out, giving us feedback, it is a pleasure to see how much we could achieve in the last couple of years. Looking in the Milling area, these were the biggest releases in the last two years:

• Guiding Curves (3x and 5x)
  • Adaptive Milling
  • Area Mill Spiral
  • Area Mill Helical

And a lot more in the pipeline:

• 5x Roughing (Testable through Eddy)
  • Flow Milling (EAP)
  • Z-Level Undercutting (Targeted for EAP in 2019)
  • Automated Chamfering (Targeted for EAP in 2019)

So keep them ERs coming Smiley Very Happy

Cheers,

Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Pioneer
Pioneer

Disastercam....errrr....Mastercam = IPECAC  That is all.Smiley Wink

Legend
Legend

TC Plane, Tool Plane, Construction Plane, Name of Plane, Major Pain!!!!!!  All extra steps in Mastercam that waste time.

Mastercam is like an Etcha Sketch. 

Glenn Balon

Pioneer
Pioneer

PowerMILLS roughing toolpaths are much better than what I've seen in NX so far but then I'm far from being an expert in NX yet too.

I've used Volumill in Disastercam and Truemill in Surfcam.  They have their place but have no business being used on large open parts or mold cavities with very few near vertical or near horizontal surfaces especially in non-ferrous material.  Disastercam and Surfcam also have terrible basically non-functioning rest maching toolpaths too so using these toolpaths leaves a lot of material to be cleaned up when doing surface work.  Good for putting large window pockets into blank plates and deep smaller pockets where chip evacuation is an issue though.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Disastercam is more like sending Morse Code if you ask me.  All you do is click your mouse button all day long.  And then sometimes the message never gets there or can't be read anyways.  At least you could use hotkeys in the old pre-X GUI.  If Disastercam wasn't in every school and intentionally left open to be bootlegged by every guy with a CNC in his garage to increase marketshare they would have been pushing daisies a log time ago.  Disastercam is to CAM what KFC is to chicken.

Pioneer
Pioneer

An analogy for you:

Volumill and Truemill is like a lawn mower with a large deck that can only go 5MPH.  It takes a bit of time to turn around to get into the next cut so it cuts air a bit of the time between passes.  Doesn't take as large of a cut at the beginning or ending of the pass either during the lead in and lead out. 

Adaptive Roughing in NX and similiar toolpaths I've used in PowerMILL with adjustable "corner rounding" and "race line maching" is a smaller lawn mower that can go as fast as you want it to but it may have to mow the lawn in 2 or 3 step downs.  It doesn't cut any air because it's pretty much in the cut all the time.  In a smaller yard you may be able to only get up to 30MPH on the average while in a larger yard you can get up to 50-60MPH.  Which one is going to finish a large irregular shaped lawn the fastest?  And the grass cuts easy, like 6061 Aluminum giving it an even bigger advantage.  And the blades last longer.  And the clippings get tossed further.  And on the weekends you can go lawnmower racing! LOL

Learn online

Solution Information