Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eccentric / Non Cylindrical Turning

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi All

This is my first post, we have been using NX Cam for a long time now but recently started using the turning toolpaths.

We have a geomtry that is not cylindrical more oval and we would like to turn the profile rather than ballmill. Is this possible to do?

7 REPLIES

Re: Eccentric / Non Cylindrical Turning

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

We have a some experience for eccentric turning, see a picture. But in our case it was DMG MORI CTX 800 Beta TC and special cycle, from Siemens or DMG, I don't know...IMG-b45c5e7dc486e9dc4103197a66335913-V.jpg

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

And - one my old project - absolutely eccentric turning:

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Tiberius14AD -

You need to start with the machine - how does the machine handle this?

G Codes?

M codes?

how do they handle the eccentricity in the cross section?

what kinds of non-circular cross sections do they support? (ellipse? polygon? others?)

how do they handle the off-center specification (e.g. turning a circular cross section where the centerline of the section is not the spindle centerline - e.g. a crankshaft)?

Note if you let NX create the spun section, it will be to the MAXIMUM material.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thats a nice component, we have a DMG NTX1000. I dont think theres a special cycle however ill check with DMG, Thanks.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Ken

I would assume it handles with G Codes but ill need to check with DMG, the machine we have is a DMG NTX1000. Regarding the spun section we ran into that problem, i thought we may be able to use a milling toolpath using the model geometry as a drive method with a staionary tool, i was hoping NX would have a custom toolpath for this type of application but im not sure its going to be that easy.

Regards Chris.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I know some machines have codes to do off-center turning (although I believe they still require a circular cross section, just that the centerline doesn't match the turning spindle centerline)

If it is a non-circular cross section, you will probably need to program it like a mill operation with the "live tool" spindle locked (not turning), and the turning spindle = C axis

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yeah, im pretty sure this is the way ill try to do it. If i get a sucsessful toolpath ill post it here.

Cheers.

Learn online

Solution Information