cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Thread Milling Tables

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi All

I am trying to add custom thread sizes to the Metric and English thread milling tables.

I have tried adding to the  "cam_standard_thread.dat" file, but unfortunately the new additions are not visable when selecting the geomery inside the opperation. I can only see the out of the box thread sizes.

Does anybody have any information about how to resolve this issue

Thanks

Jarrod 

10 REPLIES

Re: Editing Thread Milling Tables

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Please use the nx502_Threaded_Hole_Standard.xml file (~/UGII/modeling_standards/ directory) to customize your symbolic threads. Note that such changes will also impact NX CAD as CAD and CAM share the same thread tables.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Note I would suggest you do NOT edit these files IN the install tree. (If you do, they may be over-written with an MR or MP install)

I would copy them to another (shared) network folder and use these ENV variables to point NX to your edited files (Replace "..." with your install path to NX)

UGII_SCREW_CLEARANCE_HOLE_STANDARD_DIR C:\...\ugii\modeling_standards

UGII_THREADED_HOLE_STANDARD_DIR C:\...\ugii\modeling_standards

UGII_DRILL_SIZE_HOLE_STANDARD_DIR C:\...\ugii\modeling_standards

If you DO edit the files in the installed folders, then (at least) make a backup copy of your edited files so (if they do get over-written) you can recover your changes...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

Thanks for the info. I have added the files the our custom DIR, and used the environment Variables to get that to all link up correctly. This is now working well for adding or modifying threads in the Hole feature in Modeling.

For some reason the threads I have added are still not visable in the Thread Milling opperation selection.

Thread Milling .JPG 

If i take that a step further and remove all threads leaving only one metric thread in the nx502_Threaded_Hole_Standard.xml file, the Thread Milling Opperation Selection looks the same with all threads still available. But the hole feature in modeling shows only the one metric thread available.

I must be missing a step somewhere, or the thread milling table is referencing somewhere else???

Thanks again

Jarrod

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

I had a bit more of a play with the template files I have been using. I have found that if I replace the older thread milling opps with new hole making thread milling operations, that it all seems to work, and reflects any changes I make.

Im think that the template parts were just a bit to far out of date. They may have been created originally in NX7.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jarrod   

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Again

Sorry but it seems that for some reason only the internal threading ops are referencing the table correctly.

External threads are still getting their info from somewhere else.

Why is this??

See attached Video

Cheers

Jarrod

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

For external threads and data from table, the Size and Form options will query the same tables as the Symbolic Thread in NX5 & NX6  ..\UGII\thd_metric.dat or thd_english.dat depending on the part unit.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

and for those files, the ENVs are:

UGII_ENGLISH_THREADS = C:\...\ugii\thd_english.dat

UGII_METRIC_THREADS = C:\...\ugii\thd_metric.dat

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

I have added the thd_metric.dat and thd_english.dat to our site dir.

I have added the environment variables to our NX Batch Start file (see attached)

This does not work (see image) ##137None.

I have removed the environment variables from our NX Batch Start file, and added them to the system environment variables. This also gives the same result.

I can understand why this does not work??

Again, thanks for you help.

cheers

Jarrod

Siemens Phenom

Hi Jarrod,

Your UGII_METRIC_THREADS environment variable seems to reference a custom directory instead of a specific file within that custom directory.

So my guess is that you need to use something like

set UGII_METRIC_THREADS=G:\Toolroom\NX_custom\NX10\Thread Milling Tables\thd_metric.dat

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information