cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engage and Transfer Smoothing

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I am trying out the new smooth option for engage, transfer and retract movements. I really like the concept of it but I have a couple of small issues with it. 

First, when generating the G code, I notice that it outputs as a bunch of linear movements. Is there any way to make this output as a vertical arc?

Second and this may be because of the linear movements, my machine feed slows way down (4ipm) when it transfers to the next cut. The engage and retract smoothing operates at the cut feed but as the tool reaches the transfer plane, starts its smoothing (arc) its slows to a crawl.

Other than that, I really like the concept and want to implement it as soon as possible.

Thanks. 

14 REPLIES

Re: Engage and Transfer Smoothing

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I think it is impossible to get cirles because smooth eng/retract are some splines.

And make system to do it like circles are imposible too. (from user side).

But I am curious for other answers as well.

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Ya, after thinking about it a little more, if I wanted vertical radii in my code, the plane would have to be parallel to the ZX or ZY plane. I'd like like to know why on the transfer plane, that the smoothing there is so slow compared to the smoothing done near the engage and retract.

Legend
Legend

What is your machine?

In the smoothing dialogue there are settings for "tolerance"

I would open these up to .005 if you are having issues with your machine bogging down.

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hmm, I've tried many things on the machine side and nothing seems to help. I think its mostly because its in rapid mode when making the transfer place arcs. When it makes the smoothing arcs in feed mode it work flawlessly.

Legend
Legend

You can convert your rapid moves to feed and use a high feed rate. Should solve your problem.

NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Ya, I thought about it but have never done it before. Only problem I see with that is that the high feed will be machine dependent. My machine rapids much faster than some of the other ones I setup, so i'd have to keep that in mind...
O well, thanks for the input.

Legend
Legend

What controller?
I'm going to guess and say a Fanuc oi?

NX11.0.1

Legend
Legend

I dont see anything like this on our Fanuc 31i controls... only the oi

NX11.0.1

Phenom
Phenom

btw posts can divide rapids to XY and Z when tool is going down or Z and XY when tool is going up - check it also

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Learn online

Solution Information