Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Engrave text

I'm a CAD guy, and it's been at least a decade since I did any CAM stuff, but I'm trying to help out our machine shop, in regards to engraving text, since they are fairly new to NX.

I recall being able to select the text, as a 'curve' and run a ball end mill along the path, but for the life of me I can't find how to do it now.

The text is put on the model face with the modeling curves, Text tool.

Any help would be appreciated.!

-Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
15 REPLIES

Re: Engrave text

In Planar Milling template you can find special operation for text engraving:

That works for drafting text placed in modeling, but we would like to use the Text tool in modeling, so we don't have to move the WCS around to put in text.

-Dave

In this case - Fixed Contour, Curve\Points drive method. Or - I dont understand what you need..

Have you tried creating text in the manufacturing application?   I believe it's in the geometry group when you are in manufacturing.  I don't know if text inside modeling is useable; might not be selectable in the planar text operation.

NX 11.0.2

@Chigishev that works, thanks!  CAM guys aren't thrilled by having to pick each individual letter as a curve set, but it gets the job done.

@Mould_United I think text in manufacturing uses the Drafting text.

We like the Text in modeling, because we can put it on curves, and contoured surfaces.

-Dave

DaveK wrote:

@Chigishev that works, thanks!  CAM guys aren't thrilled by having to pick each individual letter as a curve set, but it gets the job done.

We like the Text in modeling, because we can put it on curves, and contoured surfaces.

I hear you.  Our designers do the same thing so it can be modeled but for us those models cannot be used for single stroke engraving.  When we have thicker fonts or  large customer logos we cut or edm those directly otherwise all our NX and Mastercam programmers program single stroke cutting.  I really like the Planar Text and Contour Text operations because a large text block is selected in one pick.  We used to program only modeled text but the programmers complained so much we went with single stroke when customer specifications allowed it. 

NX 11.0.2

[ Edited ]

Mould_United wrote:

DaveK wrote:

I hear you.  Our designers do the same thing so it can be modeled but for us those models cannot be used for single stroke engraving.  When we have thicker fonts or  large customer logos we cut or edm those directly otherwise all our NX and Mastercam programmers program single stroke cutting.  I really like the Planar Text and Contour Text operations because a large text block is selected in one pick.  We used to program only modeled text but the programmers complained so much we went with single stroke when customer specifications allowed it. 

You do not need to select text curves individually in Surface Contouring curve/Point drive.

Set the selection intent to Feature Curves, and one pick in the graphics or part navigator. And it's associative :*)  You cannot control the cut order of the letters, but it's an easy selection.

If you want to cut text curves (the geometry feature) with single strokes like the way we cut notes in planar_text and contour_text, then use a single stroke font, such as Modern.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

All methods above works fine. It depends on individual NC programmers ideas and imaginations which one to use and how to use. I have used all of them with engraving tools(single point cutting tool), small end and ball mills( 0.5mm dia). 

NX has capability to deliver what you want, the flip side is you need to make most out of it.

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Hello Mark,

I tried the feature curves intent. I indeed can select all the text by one click. However, when you look at the tool path for letter O, you will see it cuts the single lines that consist of the letter O one by one. If I pick the single lines manually, the tool path is one consecutive path. How can I create a consecutive path with the feature curves intent?

Thanks,

Kai

SegmentO.PNG

WholeO.PNG

Learn online

Solution Information